SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Broadway stars?

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Would today's teen girls at least recognize the names of Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand?

She wasn't exactly a broadway star, but Julia Roberts did appear in a Broadway play a few years ago. I assume, since she's still making movies, that her name would be familiar?
#1 - March 24, 2016, 02:32 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Yes, if not in their own right, because of GLEE, especially Liza and Barbra, and Julie Andrews because of Sound of Music and Princess Diaries.

Not sure about Julia Roberts.  She is still making movies, but she's not really the legend that the other three are.
#2 - March 24, 2016, 02:41 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Yes, if not in their own right, because of GLEE, especially Liza and Barbra, and Julie Andrews because of Sound of Music and Princess Diaries.

Yay!

Not sure about Julia Roberts.  She is still making movies, but she's not really the legend that the other three are.

I know she has a new movie coming out. Not sure how interested teens might be in it, but I'm hoping enough that she still has some name familiarity. Anyone?
#3 - March 24, 2016, 02:49 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think this would depend on the specific girls. Mine isn't into TV. She plays video games, sports, and texts friends. A lot of the girls watch Gilmore Girls and other old TV on their computers. If the girls in your story are into the right stuff, they'd know who these singers are. Also, if their parents still listen to the records, they'd know. I have a friend who is a huge Streisand fan; I'm sure his teen boys know who she is.

If your reader cares enough, they can Google in ten seconds to learn more. There's no issue in making a character that cares or would know peripherally.
#4 - March 27, 2016, 05:47 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: