SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Representing turquoise in Photoshop?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hey guys,

I am having a terrible time representing the deep turquoise color in my acrylic illustration when I photograph the painting and then look at it in Photoshop. The color shifts to more of a royal blue, and adjusting the yellow only makes the blue look like a desaturated green. If you have any advice, I'd really appreciate it! It is so frustrating to mix the exact color I want on canvas, only to have wrong in the photograph! I am pretty familiar with Photoshop...but have been and continue to be stumped by this specific color (I also ran into this problem with another illustration a few years ago).

Thank you so much!
Beth
#1 - April 12, 2016, 12:15 PM

Beth

Kinda sounds like it might be a limitation of working in CMYK. If you must work in CMYK, then you should expect that color to get muted some. You can bump up the saturation but it probably still won't be super-saturated. You can convert the file to RGB and play with that. It might at least give you the colors you are looking for on-screen. But know that that mode is meant for online/web use and not print.

Not sure if that helped.

Donald
#2 - April 12, 2016, 10:10 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, I don't think CMYK is the issue (I've been viewing the RGB file in an RGB workspace). I think I'm going to have to play around with the exposure settings on my camera :-(.
#3 - April 15, 2016, 12:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
#4 - April 16, 2016, 08:08 AM

Members: