SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

social media for giveaways

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I have a question. I am about to launch a giveaway for my new book on Goodreads. Do I announce it on Facebook and Twitter? It might sound like a dumb question, but if someone doesn't have an account with Goodreads, they can't participate, right? So is there a value of promoting it through social media, and if not how else do you get word out of a giveaway, or does Goodreads do that for you through its membership? The last time I had a book published, the publisher led the giveaway. This is the first time I am doing it on my own.
#1 - May 10, 2016, 08:08 AM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Since it takes no money and little time to promote on FB and Twitter, why not go ahead? I have done the giveaway at Goodreads (for paperback). While a lot of people entered, I'm not sure it helped sales, and none of the winners ever posted a review. Still, I'm sure results vary.   

Good luck!
#2 - May 10, 2016, 08:15 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I would post it! Just don't make it complicated (I never participate in the giveaways that require you to spam social media by reposting in X many places.) But if a friend has a giveaway on GR and puts up a simple notice on FB, sure, I'll check it out.
#3 - May 10, 2016, 08:24 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Yeah, when the publisher of my earlier book did a giveaway, I'm not sure it led to any sales, but I did get a couple of reviews from it. I guess when it comes to marketing, no stone shall be unturned (is that the saying?)

I will post on Facebook and Twitter, but not sure any of my friends would be able to access a Goodreads giveaway. Can anyone take part or do they have to be Goodreads members to participate?
#4 - May 10, 2016, 08:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think you may have to be a GR member. However, it doesn't cost anything to join--so it's not like you're asking an over-the-top favor, if someone is truly interested.
#5 - May 10, 2016, 09:14 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
post on Facebook and Twitter, but not sure any of my friends would be able to access a Goodreads giveaway. Can anyone take part or do they have to be Goodreads members to participate?

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. A Goodreads giveaway is all about increasing your book's visibility among people who are already confirmed readers (why else would they be on GR?) and who, if they like your book, will hopefully write good reviews of it and spread the word about it.  Your friends already know about your book--they aren't your target market (so to speak) in a GR giveaway.
#6 - May 10, 2016, 10:06 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Darren, I do NOT post about Goodreads giveaways on Twitter or Facebook. I want the giveaways to go to people I don't know, not my friends and followers. As I always say, free books are for strangers. Real friends pay!

BTW, I actually have giveaway ending tonight on Goodreads, and it's the first I've breathed of it! It's not necessary to promote -- I have plenty of entries among people who I otherwise wouldn't reach. I save my social media for social stuff and book news, but not so much for promo. 
#7 - May 10, 2016, 11:21 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Thank you for the comments, everyone.
I think I would tend to agree with Kell and Marissa, and I will not post on social media. Let's see if anyone already on Goodreads takes an interest. I just wasn't sure how the Goodreads community is made aware of giveaways. I imagine members already know to look for giveaways, and they decide which to pursue. Probably as simple as that unless Goodreads does anything else to promote such giveaways.
#8 - May 10, 2016, 12:13 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Darren, if you visit a book's Goodreads page and there is a giveaway, you see it. But most people find them by going to the giveaways page and searching by tag, or looking at the "Most Requested," "Popular Authors," "Ending Soon" or "Recently Listed" tabs. Most of your entries will come at the beginning and end due to those two tabs.

I've done seven giveaways over the years, and I don't know if they've been worth it or not -- I've found that one in three recipients will review, and some of the reviews are weak (like a couple words). Many of the recipients seem to be a poor match -- I wish that GR tried to do a little matchmaking between book and someone who is likely to enjoy it. The terms say they do, but I haven't observed it.
#9 - May 10, 2016, 12:23 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Members: