SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Unusual Mediums?

Discussion started on

I don't mean psychics in ghost stories, but I love those too.

Anyone else use an experimental medium? I remember an old friend (who inspired one of my MCs) had a friend who was apparently intrigued I used a burnt cedar stick.

I use it because I know my work will focus on scenery and gloominess.
#1 - May 19, 2016, 10:54 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Gosh, I've seen everything! I always read the note in picture books that describes the media used by the illustrator. Sometimes you can guess, sometimes not. I am disappointed when books DON'T specify -- but then, I'm the kind of person who also reads the typesetting notes.
#2 - May 20, 2016, 05:00 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Me too, Kell!

Sarah, I recently experimented with carving my own stamps out of potatoes for a pb dummy. But mostly I use boring old ink and paint. 

And I've heard of people using old make-up, coffee and tea, homemade egg yolk tempera paint, torn paper, cut fabric. I know I've heard of other strange stuff, I just can't think of it at the moment. If I do, I'll post.
#3 - May 20, 2016, 07:22 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I've heard of all the stuff mentioned already, and like Kell, I love it when they tell how the art was done.

When I was a fine artist and ran out of money for canvas, I started using other things for my canvas, like coffee makers, drills, a car handle, etc. Basically anything in my apartment I could part with! Plus I also bought cheap CDs and painted on those too.
#4 - May 20, 2016, 07:35 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Kell, me too! I always enjoy learning how the art was made.
#5 - May 20, 2016, 10:23 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hi Sarah, I've been playing around with oil pastels, which are not really so unusual, but they are MESSY. I have been told that it's okay to use them, but I might need to help figure out how to reproduce and/or transport the finished art (should I ever get to that point...).

I'm not an expert, but I don't see why your burnt cedar stick would be a problem at all. I've heard from more than one art director that what matters is the art itself. If it works, it works! In your case, it sounds like your medium would enhance the feeling you're trying to create. And perhaps more importantly, you're having fun with it. So, great!

I also love reading about how the art was made. It's a fun way to learn from other illustrators.

Lisa
#6 - May 26, 2016, 05:22 AM
HIGH TIDE FOR HORSESHOE CRABS (Charlesbridge, 2015)

My newest PB, SKY PIG (illustrated by Suzanne DelRizzo) has plasticine illustrations, but also "milkweed fluff, watch gears and other doo-dads." It's a very cool blending of all different material besides clay, and must have taken her forever! I love it!
#7 - May 26, 2016, 11:04 AM
www.jancoates.ca
2019, Dancing with Daisy (PB)
2019, Say What You Mean (MG)
2018, Talking to the Moon (MG)
2018, A Halifax Time-Travelling Tune (PB)

Members: