SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book Dummy if Self Published

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Do you need to do a book dummy if you've already got a self published book under your belt?

I did what you're probably not supposed to do, I worked for a self publishing author.  Now I realize I got amazingly lucky with a serious author who has done many books that sell well, and have won critical acclaim and awards for non fiction.  I didn't get rich, but the author paid enough to go back for a 2nd book and am working on a third.  I'm new to the children's market and hope this is a good start.

So in a few months, I'll have 3 20-26 page historical non-fiction books that will be all printed up add to a physical portfolio as well as images for my web site.  I did the illustrations, but not the layout.  Do I still need to make a book dummy?
#1 - June 22, 2016, 04:12 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. A book dummy for what? To submit your own story as author/illustrator to a publisher?

Yes.

For a portfolio?

No.

I have four published books, and one coming out, and I still do book dummies. Even for my current editors. It's the best way to get your vision across.

For a portfolio, it's good to have 2-3 illustrations/spreads from the same project to show you can carry a narrative and have consistency with your characters. But don't put a full dummy in a portfolio.

ETA: Though if you have physical copies of your book and you are attending an in-person portfolio review/critique I would have a copy of the books on hand, and put 2-3 spreads in the physical portfolio and in your online portfolio.

I hope that helps!
#2 - June 22, 2016, 04:40 PM
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:43 PM by Artemesia »
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
My first book was published in 2005. I still make dummies. These are for books I wrote and plan to illustrate myself through traditional publication avenues. I send the dummy to my agent and she sends it on to editors/publishers.

For an online portfolio, I suggest having a large variety of images, not just the ones from these three books, and update them frequently as your skills improve.

For an in person portfolio review have between 10-12 images of your absolute best work appropriate for children's publications.
#3 - June 23, 2016, 06:08 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Thanks for clarifying Wendy!

I meant you can include those 2-3 spreads from your sp books, but you definitely should have more than that in your portfolio. There is a good resource thread here on putting together a portfolio: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=74823.0
#4 - June 23, 2016, 07:10 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Thanks for the help, guys.  You really cleared that one up for me.
#5 - June 23, 2016, 01:19 PM

Members: