SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recommendations for picture books about different religions?

Discussion started on

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'm looking for non-preachy picture books that would appeal to a 4-year-old about the different religions in the world. Both books about how there are many different religious beliefs OR stories that focus on a particular religion are good. ZEN SHORTS and ZEN TIES are the only two that are coming to mind for me right now, and I'm sure there are more.
#1 - July 01, 2016, 04:50 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I have 3 books out about Wicca. "An Ordinary Girl, A Magical Child;" "Aidan's First Full Moon Circle;" and "Smoky and the Feast of Mabon." You can find out more about them on the publisher's web site http://magicalchildbooks.com.
#2 - July 01, 2016, 05:34 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
A friend of mine and her dad did a nice world religions picture book not long ago: There Are Seven Houses on My Street, by Ron Flowers and Anise Flowers. It's self published, so it might be hard to find in a library, but I appreciated it for its positive outlook and respectful way of showing what is special to several different religions, and what could help a child find people who practice them relatable instead of other-able.
#3 - July 01, 2016, 08:11 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have a wonderful book by DK on mythologies of the world and I'll bet they have something about world religions as well. Yup, DK publishes What Do You Believe? A search on Amazon brought up some titles -- they're better for a slightly older child, but my kids enjoyed the DK books as I read to them.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_21?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=religion+for+children&sprefix=religion+for+children%2Caps%2C138

Give Your Child the World is an amazing resource for books that connect children to various parts of the world, and may include books on religion.
#4 - July 01, 2016, 09:33 AM
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:07 AM by Vijaya »
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
These are great! Keep the recommendations coming if you think of more.
#5 - July 04, 2016, 07:36 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
J-Bert, this one doesn't focus on religion, yet in looking at how people around the world live, it demonstrates aspects of religion. For example, one of the children is a Buddhist monk-in-training. It's also just fascinating to look at the photographs of children from all over the world and the things that are important in their lives (some of them to do with religion). As my friend the religious studies professor is always reminding me, religion is not a matter of belief, but of stories, rituals, and symbols.
https://www.amazon.com/Children-Just-Like-Me-Celebration/dp/0789402017/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467650626&sr=1-2&keywords=children+around+the+world

#6 - July 04, 2016, 09:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
We have ILYAS & DUCK SEARCH FOR ALLAH by Omar S. Khawaja and illustrated by Leo Antolini at my library and it is very cute!
#7 - July 04, 2016, 10:10 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
My very favorite is Old Turtle by Douglas Wood and Cheng Khee-Chee. Along with Wood's powerful, fable-like story are Khee-Chee's hypnotically beautiful illustrations.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Turtle-Douglas-Wood/dp/0439309085/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467676397&sr=1-1&keywords=old+turtle

(This Scholastic edition must be a re-release, as my copy is from the 90s.)

I read this the first day of every class I ever taught and became known- among my 9th and 10th graders - as "Turtle Lady," due to my fondness of this gem and ability to weave it into various aspects of history and pop culture. (Yes, high schoolers dig picture books! And when I left teaching to have my first child, I received *dozens* of stuffed turtles and outfits with turtle prints. The power of Old Turtle.....)

:turtlego
#8 - July 04, 2016, 04:59 PM
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:01 PM by carrots »

Engsis

I love Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors by Hena Khan. It's visually stunning and isn't preachy:
https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Domes-Silver-Lanterns-Muslim/dp/1452141215/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
#9 - July 05, 2016, 03:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
New!
THE ALWAYS PRAYER SHAWL by Sheldon Oberman is a beautiful book with truly masterful illustrations by Ted Lewin. It won at least two awards, the National Jewish Award and  the Sydney Taylor Award. It's published by Boyds Mills Press and is an excellent read -aloud. Another Jewish story that's more of a folktale is HERSHEL AND THE HANUKKAH GOBLINS by Eric Kimmel with Trina Schart Hyman's dark atmospheric illustrations that earned her a Caldecott Honor. It's another one that will keep most four-year-olds enthralled.
#10 - July 09, 2016, 07:28 PM
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:26 AM by Sheila »
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Members: