SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Windows 10 Switch

Discussion started on

I haven't switched--if something's not broken, don't fix it, right?--but is there an advantage to switching AND did anyone have any problems with documents already created in Word?

I know someone had to scout for a doc they saved on their desktop, but other than that, what has been the experience?

I've read Windows 7 will continue to get support, and probably past the life I have left on my laptop (now four years old), so I'd get 10 or a higher version when getting a new computer down the line.

Thanks.  ::-)
#1 - July 18, 2016, 05:20 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I didn't have any problems with the upgrade from Win 8 to 10, but it took over 12 hours to complete the process. I did it because of the projected security issues. Win 10 is very similar to Win 7 from what I've been told. The only thing that drove me nuts was Cortana. I switched her off.  :dogwalk
#2 - July 18, 2016, 05:38 AM

Dionna

Window 10 seems exactly like 7 to me, but BEWARE, it may eat your desktop folders. (See discussion below.) And it may upgrade without asking you for permission. So back up your stuff ASAP, if you haven't already.

"Windows 10 ate me folders!"
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=80670.0
#3 - July 18, 2016, 06:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Thanks for asking this, Arona. I've been wondering the same thing, since the drop-down reminders are now saying the free download opportunity ends this month.

I've used Windows 10 a little when I volunteer at our church office on Wednesday mornings, and I don't like it as much as Windows 7, but, of course, anything new takes a little getting used to.
#4 - July 18, 2016, 06:42 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I personally wouldn't download 10 on any machine that came running an older version. I have heard too many stories of extreme slowdowns, lost files, and even inability to save files. My son upgraded with no issues, but this seems to be the exception. I also got the "ends this month" message on my laptop, and in there was finally able to find an option to permanently cancel any upgrade. Windows 10 came on my new desktop, though, and it's great there.
#5 - July 18, 2016, 08:20 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Thanks, everyone--but Dionna, are you saying that Microsoft may upgrade me TO version 10 without asking, or that IF I upgrade to 10, that 10 does automatic upgrades without asking permission.

I should have married an IT guy.
#6 - July 18, 2016, 08:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Arona,

My older laptop is continuing to say it will upgrade to Windows 10 soon etc. It is not asking my permission. The way around this for me (so far) is to turn off the computer when not in use. I have also begun emailing important files to myself so they don't get lost.
#7 - July 18, 2016, 08:58 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I upgraded my four year old HP desktop. It is now processing everything so slowly I'm coming to the conclusion I have to get a new computer in the near future. It's constantly churning. I've given up running most videos from news sites or facebook because everything freezes.

Not too long after I upgraded, I read about something similar happening to another user, and the techie response posted was if your machine was made for a different Windows program, it's probably not going to be able to handle an upgrade, just buy a new computer.

This doesn't seem to happen to everyone, though. Maybe it was the type of computer? Good news was it didn't eat any folders.

I'm thinking of getting an Apple because my kids hardly ever have problems with theirs, either desktop or laptop. The only one was when my son upgraded his old desktop (like 8 or 9 years old) and it crashed, so he had to buy a new one. Same idea, though - his computer couldn't handle the upgrade.
#8 - July 18, 2016, 09:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
After declining the Windows 10 upgrade dozens of times, my computer simply updated it w/o offering me an opt out.  I wasn't very happy.  In addition to making it a little more difficult to find files, I've had two problems.  Within two days of upgrading I had one of those nasty viruses that take over and hold things hostage.  I had to take it in to the shop and was told Windows 10 has some security problems making it easier for hackers to get in to your operating system.  Second, I do a lot of educational writing and can't figure out how to get a Flesch-Kincaid reading level with Windows 10.  In the past I ran spell check and it was an option at the end of the spell check.  Does anyone know how to get an F-K level with Windows 10?   
#9 - July 18, 2016, 09:30 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Yeah I declined about a hundred times, and it finally offered me a choice to decline it forever. I wonder if too many people complained about the forced upgrade so they started offering a permanent decline? I have Win 8 and have just heard too many Win 10 horror stories to risk it.
#10 - July 18, 2016, 10:02 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

The last week or so there's been the option to decline the offer, which I'm now know, after your replies, I will do.

It reads, "Decline FREE offer." It makes it sound like you'd be forced to pay somewhere down the line. But when you get a new computer, it already has the latest version of Windows, whatever that may be at the time of purchase.

Plus, Microsoft has already declared support for my version 7 until (whenever it was)...so...to have it read "Decline FREE offer" must be a marketing ploy, a scare tactic for the feint of heart. (????)

#11 - July 18, 2016, 10:25 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. I figure there's some underlying reason they are trying to force everyone to install it, and I'm just paranoid enough to find that super creepy. 
#12 - July 18, 2016, 10:30 AM

@cynmarko

I use a MacOS, and the NeoOffice emulator not only manages all previous forms of .doc nicely, it also keeps them in a more compact file size than the for some reason whopping 1MB size that MacOS Pages saves them in.

(Ever notice that whenever Microsoft shows Windows users in their ads, it's always "Hurray, I have a computer, my life's easier!", and never any discussion about which computer you could use?)
#13 - July 18, 2016, 10:59 AM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
...I was one of the weaklings... :hiding

#14 - July 18, 2016, 10:59 AM

I was/am a  :sadcry weakling, too--but my fears kept me from installing it.

I always said I would switch to Mac whenever I got a new computer. I gave up on that after realizing what a huge computer wuss I was, and how long it took me to teach myself everything I DO know. I start sucking my thumb and twirling my hair at the thought of starting from scratch with a new system.
#15 - July 18, 2016, 11:24 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I used to have a mac, which I loved. (well I actually still have it but it's like a 60 pound paper weight now) It does take a little getting used to when you switch from one to the other, but unless you do things like graphic design, or music or video editing, spending the extra money on a mac isn't necessary, IMO.
#16 - July 18, 2016, 11:28 AM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Like some folks here, I am a bonafide technophobe. Like every one here, I am forced to use technology, and not trivial technology at that.
DH, by contrast, is a techie. DS and DD are very comfortable with it. This is the advantage of youth.

Long story short-- the upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 10 was forced on us all by DH, and for me it's been the easiest and smoothest adjustment of any upgrades we've endured to date. If you knew me, you would know this is meaningful.
I resisted the move to windows 8 and 8.1, which my kids endured (and complained about, but adjusted) and while I was worried sick when the time came, it's been good. (Knock on  :clover) I actually like many of the changes. I also like WORD 2016 a whole lot, though I still manage to have ajdustment issues with Outlook 2016.

The real issue is that these older version systems will, eventually, not be supported by Microsoft. Without their support- patches the computer will eventually become inoperable. We are forced to move on.

But "eventually" may be a long enough time. As you have mentioned your computer is unlikely to be around by then, you have the valid option to do as mrh suggests, and become a Windows 10 user only when you buy a new computer.
#17 - July 18, 2016, 11:39 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Dionna

Yes, Arona. After repeatedly declining an upgrade it did it on its own, and all my stuff was gone, like a clean sweep. Thanfully, I had Norton which had backed up everything, though I had to reorder folders, still all was saved.
#18 - July 18, 2016, 01:19 PM

Members: