SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for YA/ MG with a large cast of characters

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm looking for books with a large cast for a paper I'm writing. Would prefer that the book have a single main viewpoint character surrounded by many secondary characters. I'm open to books that juggle a large cast well or those that do a poor/ confusing job of it. I'm also interested in books that have a lot of characters involved in a scene (as I've found that many large cast books only focus on 2-3 characters per scene). Any suggestions greatly appreciated! So far I'm looking at the Harry Potter and Hunger Games series, Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys, and A Nothern Light by Jennifer Donnelly.
#1 - July 21, 2016, 11:16 AM

THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah Maas has a pretty large cast, though the second book on introduces a second viewpoint character.
ETIQUETTE AND ESPIONAGE series by Gail Carriger
THE DIVINERS series by Libba Bray (though viewpoints do shift--it's still pretty epic in scope)
CONSPIRACY OF US series by Maggie Hall
INVENTOR'S SECRET series by Andrea Cremer
#2 - July 21, 2016, 12:27 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
SOME KIND OF HAPPINESS by Claire Legrand has a pretty big cast for MG.
#3 - July 21, 2016, 01:19 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
AUDREY (COW) by Dan Bar-el is a fabulous MG with, I kid you not, about 20 viewpoint characters, each with a distinctive voice and POV. :cow
#4 - July 21, 2016, 01:24 PM
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:26 PM by Barbara Etlin »
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Not exactly what you're after, but Nikki Grimes' Bronx Masquerade shifts from one perspective to another, with a ton of voices. A more recent YA with two main narrators, Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun, has a lot of different characters, and a few scenes with several characters. At least, if I'm remembering it accurately!
#5 - July 21, 2016, 06:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
BEAUTY QUEENS by Libba Bray is multiple POVs and lots of them.
TEN by Gretchen McNeil is one pov where the ten other characters slowly get killed off (based on AND THEN THERE WERE NONE by Agatha Christie).
#6 - July 21, 2016, 08:10 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
HARRIET THE SPY, by Louise Fitzhugh.
THE LIST, by Siobhan Vivian.
UNWIND, by Neal Shusterman.
EVERLOST, by Neal Shusterman.
DAUGHTERS OF EVE, by Lois Duncan.
#7 - July 22, 2016, 11:57 AM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Member.
Poster Plus
As mentioned, I'd prefer a single POV character with a large supporting cast, but thank you all for the reading list! And I'm still open for more suggestions, particularly if you can think of books that have a lot of characters featured in a single scene.
#8 - July 22, 2016, 03:07 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
POOKIE ALEERA IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND (MG), but it uses a cast of narrators - https://www.penguin.com.au/products/9780702249280/pookie-aleera-not-my-boyfriend
#9 - July 22, 2016, 03:40 PM
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:42 PM by JulieM »
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Sheila Turnage's series starting with THREE TIMES LUCKY has a lot of characters. There are many scenes at the town cafe where almost the whole town is there.

The Great Greene Heist by Varian Johnson has a big cast, but if I'm remembering correctly it's multiple POV.

The Sammy Keyes mysteries often have a lot of characters and are all in Sammie's POV.

Might also look at Daughter of Smoke & Bone series by Laini Taylor (mostly one main POV) and the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Steifvater. (I haven't read the last two yet--I think the first two are mostly in Blue's POV with a few chapters in others.)

Oh, also Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater has a fairly large cast but two POVs.
#10 - July 22, 2016, 06:15 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
As mentioned, I'd prefer a single POV character with a large supporting cast, but thank you all for the reading list! And I'm still open for more suggestions, particularly if you can think of books that have a lot of characters featured in a single scene.

Of the books I listed, I think HARRIET THE SPY fits that main-character-with-supporting-cast best. The others are closer to ensemble casts (the Shusterman books tend to have three main characters, the others more), but worth looking at for variety of technique. And all the books I listed have at least one scene where all or most of the characters are present at once.

I'm also rereading a classic MG, THE HORSE WITHOUT A HEAD by Paul Berna, that has a huge cast: 10 kids plus several adults who are major characters. There isn't a single POV character, but there are scenes where all 10 kids are together.
#11 - July 28, 2016, 04:17 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I just finished THE LOOSE ENDS LIST by Carrie Firestone. One 1st person narrator pov, a cruise ship full of other important characters!
#12 - July 28, 2016, 05:44 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
How about WONDER? It has multiple points of view although not so much a lot of characters in individual scenes. Hilary McKay's books often slip in and out of various characters' points of views and she has a lot of characters. Not exactly what you're looking for but worth reading if you're not familiar with her work. Her SAFFY'S ANGEL and DOG FRIDAY are both  wonderful and do have scenes with a small crowd of characters. Another oldie but goody is THE PINBALLS by Betsy Byars.
#13 - July 30, 2016, 10:34 AM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Some of Shannon Hale's books fit this category. (Princess Academy, for example.)  So does Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. The classic, Alice in Wonderland, also has a large cast, as does The Hobbit.
I can't think of any with large casts that are written poorly.
There are obvious challenges to writing a large cast. (And the cast may shrink a bit during revision, after feedback from other writers or an editor. If two different characters perform the same purpose, they will often be combined.) I wonder if certain types of books have large casts. (For example: Is it more common with fantasy?)

Good luck with your paper.
#14 - August 13, 2016, 11:02 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
THE VIEW FROM SATURDAY by E.L. Konigsburg. If I remember correctly, it's written in 3rd person (maybe omniscient?) and has five main characters and a lot of secondary characters.
#15 - August 13, 2016, 12:48 PM
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:52 PM by Barbara Etlin »
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Members: