SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrating for Middle Grade

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region montana
Hello,

I'm still an aspiring illustrator. I've been working on my portfolio and trying to gear it towards picture books, but the more I look at picture books, I think that the work I like to do doesn't fit as well. So I'm wondering about Middle Grade. What does it take to illustrate for Middle Grade books? I know that most middle grade books consist of a cover and maybe some chapter illustrations, but how does one get into that world? How would you gear your portfolio? Is it in anyway similar to picture books? Does anyone have any resources/links I could go research?

Thanks!
#1 - August 04, 2016, 01:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I'd suggest you check into magazines such as Cricket, Highlights, Pockets, Spider, etc. for the middle-grade audience. If you can make it into some of them, you can mention those assignments when trying to get a book editor or agent interested in your work. Magazines use color and each story usually has only two to five illustrations while interiors of books use black/ white and often one illustration for each chapter.  There does seem to be a trend toward middle-grade books that are illustrated, so this might be a perfect fit. Cover art is often done by a different artist than the interior art work and a lot of photos are incorporated into the illustrations. Checking out new books at bookstores and at your library is one of the best ways to learn about what's out there and what 's being done. Best wishes for success!!
#2 - August 04, 2016, 05:50 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Jeanne, I'm not an illustrator and have no advice, but I stumbled across some oldies by Marguerite de Angeli. Gorgeous interior illos. I also read her autobiography and was hugely inspired ... I wrote about it here: http://vijayabodach.blogspot.com/2016/08/marguerite-de-angeli.html  She did all sorts of work for magazines and illustrating other people's books before her editor asked if she would think about writing her own.

Good luck, Vijaya
#3 - August 04, 2016, 06:44 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Get thee to ye ole library (or local book seller) and look at the books you'd like to illustrate. Copy down the artist's names and google them to see what their portfolios look like. Beyond that, it's pretty much the same as picture book illustration. Do your research, find out who is publishing, editing and illustrating the books you want to have your art in. Make lists, find contact information, submission guidelines and send out promotional art to those open to subs.
#4 - August 05, 2016, 05:52 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region montana
Thank you everyone! This has been very helpful. I'm heading to the library today!
#5 - August 05, 2016, 07:34 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
What Wendy said!!  :yup
#6 - August 05, 2016, 09:55 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com