SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Stymied by 1st person PB synopsis

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi everybody.  I have a PB manuscript that I’m ready to submit to agents, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to write a good synopsis.  The story is written in the first person.  The  most logical approach seems to be writing the synopsis in the third person, but the narrator’s name is not mentioned in the text, so I can’t refer to her by name.  Can I just I refer to her as “a girl?”  That sounds kind of dull.  Several other characters in the story are named, if that makes any difference.

Is there some other angle that isn’t occurring to me?  This hot weather isn’t improving my brain function!

Many thanks.
#1 - August 14, 2016, 01:16 PM
Miss Renée's Mice
Miss Renée's Mice Go to an Exhibition

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Elizabeth,

I hear you on the hot weather.

I think you're fine to go with "a girl" or "a little girl" in the third person. You probably won't name the other characters in the synopsis, will you, unless just by their relationship to her, i.e. mom, sister, etc?

Jody
#2 - August 14, 2016, 01:31 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you, Jody, that's helpful.  It is a bit challenging to describe the story without using the character's name, but I'm sure I can make it sound natural if I put my mind to it.  And yes, identifying the other characters just by relationship will make sense.

Thank heavens the weather has cooled down!  I can't think straight when it's so hot and humid.
#3 - August 14, 2016, 07:05 PM
Miss Renée's Mice

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Other options are to call her narrator, protagonsist or main character. You could state, the "unnamed narrator" at the first use. Good luck.
#4 - August 15, 2016, 07:07 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you, Debbie, those are possibilities I had wondered about too!  I think it may work best to use both "girl" and "narrator."
#5 - August 15, 2016, 10:57 AM
Miss Renée's Mice

Members: