SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Where Will We Get the Next Tintin?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region japan
Here's a rollicking piece in Slate by Daniel Hahn:

We’ve Stopped Translating Children’s Books Into English. Where Will We Get the Next Tintin?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/nightlight/2016/08/18/tintin_asterix_moomins_the_little_prince_where_will_the_next_children_s.html

Avery Fischer Udagawa
SCBWI International Translator Coordinator
SCBWI Japan Translator Coordinator
Japanese > English
#1 - August 19, 2016, 05:49 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
#2 - August 19, 2016, 09:54 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Really enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing. I've read a lot of translations and richer for it.
#3 - August 19, 2016, 05:11 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region japan
I understand there is a discussion of this article at the Global Literature in Libraries Initiative page on Facebook. I have asked to join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/globallit/
#4 - August 19, 2016, 08:38 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think when we don't see books written in other countries, we forget those countries exist. We think our own world is the only one. And that is not accurate. And it's sad, too! We need mirrors AND windows.
#5 - August 19, 2016, 10:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
>The United States was, as usual, a subdued presence at the fair.<

This is a snippet from an article re: this years Bologna Children's Book Fair. Here is the full article in the NYT's...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/books/review/continued-growth-at-the-bologna-childrens-book-fair.html

I'm not sure why US publishers are not in greater attendance and not purchasing more foreign rights. I hear so often that this Editor and that Art Director are excited because they are heading to Bologna but seems they still aren't a large presence, likely relative to the size of publishing IN the US. Canada's publishing is minuscule in our number of publishers and in the number of books released each year, in comparison to many Countries... certainly compared to the US, yet Canada seem active at Bologna. (even won a pic book award this year there)
Wonder why?
#6 - August 20, 2016, 05:16 AM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:18 AM by christripp »
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Have a question, a bit off topic from your post Avery. Harry Potter didn't need translation of course, but in the US published version's, was the spelling changed? For Canada it would stay the same as the UK spellings but wondering if Scholastic in the US changed things like "colour" and "neighbour" etc?

Edited to change this to "in Canada it COULD stay the same as the UK". I should have said could because I must confess to never having read them (omg, I know) We may well have published just what came from the US but with different covers?
#7 - August 20, 2016, 05:26 AM
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:28 AM by christripp »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region japan
Hi Chris,

I am not an expert on the Harry Potter books, but I understand they had UK and US editors/publishers and the spelling, etc were indeed edited for the target markets. One of the books even has different titles in the UK and US: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, vs Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Best,
Avery
#8 - August 20, 2016, 08:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region japan
P.S. Chris, thanks for the Bologna link! I took would love to see more English-language publishers acquiring there, and am constantly curious to know the whys behind acquiring/not acquiring.
#9 - August 20, 2016, 08:16 AM

Actually, when I discover a good fantasy novel for a clearly defined MG audience nowadays, it's usually German, eg. Cornelia Funke--
They do have a talent for such things.

As for whether they still read comic strips in Europe to give us the next Tintin or Asterix, I'm not sure.  We don't read them here now, either.
#10 - August 20, 2016, 02:44 PM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I have three fairly new editions of Tintin. They are of course re-releases of the originals, put out in 2011 by Little, Brown. Asterix was a favorite when I was a kid, and I watched the recent animated movie (Mansion of the Gods, I think it was called?) with my kids, and they loved it. I think kids would still love to read stories like this.

I think graphic novels and comics are still a big thing in Europe, and they are a big and getting bigger thing here now. Maybe not syndicated newspaper strips as printed news moves more and more online (but I can't say for sure), but definitely webcomics, graphic novels, and comic books.

But as for who is publishing and translating such works, one I know of is Drawn & Quarterly, who are headquartered in Montreal, Canada. https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/about I have a couple of their books, Hark! A Vagrant by Canadian Kate Beaton (a funny book of historical and literary satire/parody in short strips) and the other a graphic novel, A Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann & Kerascoet, originally published in French and translated by Helge Dascher. (really weird and wonderful book)
#11 - August 20, 2016, 03:49 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks Avery for letting me know about the US spelling in the Potter series!:)
And after some more digging I see in Canada the UK version is the one we sell (the UK covers) and the title with "Philosopher" in it, not "Sorcerer". Reading about that title change in the US, the explanation was US kids would be confused by the term Philosopher.... but what really is so different between US and Canadian kids in what they are exposed to in life and the media that would be the basis for that decision I wonder?? Would kids of even cared, so long as it had HP in the title?
#12 - August 21, 2016, 04:53 AM

And after some more digging I see in Canada the UK version is the one we sell (the UK covers) and the title with "Philosopher" in it, not "Sorcerer". Reading about that title change in the US, the explanation was US kids would be confused by the term Philosopher.... but what really is so different between US and Canadian kids in what they are exposed to in life and the media that would be the basis for that decision I wonder?? Would kids HAVE even cared, so long as it had HP in the title?

When the first book came out, we didn't know who Harry Potter WAS.  Obviously.  The author even chose his name to sound boring.
I remember I didn't even know it was a fantasy either, until someone told me the plot with the "Sorcerer" title.  Otherwise, I'd thought they'd just read a Douglas Adams book.
#13 - August 21, 2016, 12:03 PM
Know the movies.  Show the movies.  Start the revolution:
http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
>When the first book came out, we didn't know who Harry Potter WAS<

Eric, that's a good point, of course no one knew the book or about HP when the first came out, doh, your right:)

#14 - August 28, 2016, 03:16 AM

Members: