SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Maps

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Those of you who have done maps for books--did you freehand them? Did you use a program? I realize most maps in books are fantasy world style maps, and I'm trying to put together a realistic street map (of an invented town). But I'm curious what your process is. I've been playing around with some free mapmaking programs, but so far I'm pretty sure I could freehand the thing and make it look a lot better. (The one benefit to using a computer program is that it could be exactly aligned, and it could also possibly be scalable.)
#1 - August 27, 2016, 11:15 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I've done several simple maps, and yeah, I free-handed them. I did a street map for an invented town for my MG (I can show you, if you want to see it), and then really simple stylized maps (that make me think of those waffle house maps, lol) for the KPC books and I have a bird's eye map similar to the KPC ones in the piggy book.
#2 - August 27, 2016, 11:28 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I've love to see your MG map, Arty! *runs off to check the KPC shelf for the others*

The location of places is pretty important in my book, but unfortunately I wrote the book before diagramming it all out. Which led to a brain-breaking day yesterday. I pulled out all the references to locations and their relative positions to other locations in the book and put them in a gigantic master list, and then there was a lot of wailing and agonizing. (I am TERRIBLE at those logic problems about Farmer Brown getting three of his pigs across the river with only two sticks of fencing.) I finally had to outsource it to one of my kids. So now I have the locations plotted, but as I've been asked to actually produce a map graphic, I need to make it look pretty.
#3 - August 27, 2016, 11:46 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I PMed you.

(And I did the same thing, and had to go back and figure it all out, lol)

#4 - August 27, 2016, 11:57 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Rose, that sounds challenging, but maps can truly be helpful to readers. I just finished an adult novel that has a map in the front. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. I thought the map was well-done. It has the streets with 3-D buildings and then has additional larger insets of six of the most frequently mentioned buildings, 3 on the far left of the page and 3 on the far right of the page.

Best wishes to you on your project.  :goodluck
#5 - August 27, 2016, 12:26 PM

Members: