SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Wordpress Themes

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I was wondering for those of you who use Wordpress for your website, what theme you would recommend?  I'm not, at least initially, going to be blogging, so the first page will be static with links for my published short stories and an upcoming picture book.

I appreciate any suggestions.
#1 - August 31, 2016, 09:40 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I use Expound (you can view my site at the link in my signature). I like it because it's clean and easy to use, but it's also customizable. And if you pay for the premium site instead of the free site, it's even more so, with custom fonts and colors etc. And it's already mobile friendly. You can create a custom header, but I found it doesn't work as nicely in mobile format so I removed mine, but that was a couple years ago and they may have updated things since then.
#2 - August 31, 2016, 12:54 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Oh, I love it, Cyndi! And such a timely question. I've debated whether or not to pay someone to build a custom website, then back to WordPress or all the other services out there. Kiteflyer, I'd love to follow your progress. And best of luck!  :goodluck

@mbowords
#3 - August 31, 2016, 01:47 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
thanks!  :thankyou

I was quoted $3000 for a basic page with no frills. Plus hosting and buying my domain etc...and extra for updates. I decided to just do it myself as my site is really simple (I pay $99 USD per year for Premium). And I often make hidden pages to share illustrations with my agent so I don't have to email her a bunch of images, so it's nice to be able to add pages and do small updates whenever I want without having to wait on someone else to do it for me, as well as pay for the update.
#4 - August 31, 2016, 01:59 PM

@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Yes, I love the control factor...it's just the actual UNDERSTANDING of what I'm reading! :confused2 Can't tell you how many times I've tried to get it designed only to give up. Well, "Never Give up; Never Surrender." :D
#5 - August 31, 2016, 05:19 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I love my theme, Weaver Xtreme, because it is amazingly versatile, but I think you might want to start with a theme that has far fewer bells and whistles. I'm not current on what those might be, so I'd suggest googling something like "easiest Wordpress theme" or something similar. You can always upgrade once you're more comfortable with how it works.
#6 - September 01, 2016, 05:54 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've been to your site before Vonna, but I went this time just to look at your theme, and yeah, it looks great!!

I know I can have more widgets and stuff with mine, I just have no use for them, since it's a pretty static page. But if you need something that can handle lots of new content etc, there are a lot of great options!

It is worth it to read some of the help material on wordpress's site. I've also emailed support once or twice when I couldn't find the help I needed and they are helpful and get back to you quickly.
#7 - September 01, 2016, 09:35 AM

@cynmarko

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Good to know, Artemesia---thank you!
#8 - September 01, 2016, 10:02 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate the suggestions.
#9 - September 05, 2016, 02:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I use a free Wordpress theme, I think it's called Sahara. There are many to pick from, though, and I'm sure all are equally user-friendly. When you click to choose theme, it will tell you right off which ones are free. I happen to use the main page as my blog, but if you click on some of the menu tabs (for example, my About page) you can see what a static page would look like. It can be shorter and appear more like a website than a blog. You can also set the whole thing to private while you're figuring out how you want things to look. When you're happy with it, then change your settings to public. I'm not real computer savvy, but I'm able to publish all my pages and posts without assistance, so for me, Wordpress has been great. Good luck, kiteflyer!
#10 - September 06, 2016, 08:11 AM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Marcia,  Thanks for the great advice.  I enjoyed visiting your blog/website.  This is the kind of information I was looking for. 
#11 - September 06, 2016, 04:49 PM

There are some great free themes you can get from the WordPress website or by browsing themes in the WordPress dashboard. If you click on popular there are a lot of good ones. Take a look at Sydney, Customizr, Optimizer, and Sparkling. Most of the ones in the popular section are good quality and have lots of downloads... If you're looking for good free themes, that's a good place to start.
#12 - October 04, 2016, 04:25 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
I am experimenting with a Headway theme which is quite versatile and easy to learn how to use. It costs $59 a year, but worth it for the customisation. I use Arvixe for hosting and Domain name. Hosting costs $112 for 2 years, plus domain name.

Wordpress is a fantastic platform.

#13 - December 16, 2016, 08:01 AM

Artemesia,

I'm sorry, what was the $3000 quote for?

Thanks,
Gatz
#14 - January 24, 2017, 10:28 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Members: