SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Chime in with your favorite RECENT Picture Book and why

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
My favorite recent PB is  Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin. Daniel Samlieri's whimsical illustrations appeal to me. The story is captivating and uses a great deal of varied sensory inputs. 

Care to chime in with your favorite PB that's been published in the last five years?
#1 - September 21, 2016, 11:23 AM

Just one? I can't manage that.

My kiddo (two) and I both love Ben Hatke's JULIA'S HOUSE FOR LOST CREATURES. The art and layout are fantastic (PB meets graphic novel), and the story is very cute. My daughter likes to pretend that she's putting signs on the door and creatures are coming to stay. We also really love BERNICE GETS CARRIED AWAY by Hannah Harrison. The art is gorgeous and the story pitch perfect for little kids seeking to understand moods and actions. She's also super into ZEN GHOSTS by Jon Muth right now. I think with that one it's primarily the illustrations, though she seems to really like the little side story Stillwater tells, too, and she's started saying, "Draw me a story, Mama!" If only I had the skill. ::-)
#2 - September 21, 2016, 11:49 AM
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:28 PM by HDWestlund »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
SOPHIE'S SQUASH written by Pat Zietlow Miller, illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf, for the language and word play.
MOTHER BRUCE written and illustrated by Ryan T. Higgins for the humor.
LAST STOP ON MARKET STREET written by Matt de la Pena, illustrated by Christian Robinson for the heart.

You said one. I could do twenty.  I compromise. :)
#3 - September 21, 2016, 12:05 PM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Three is fine.  Thanks.  I also like  One by Kathryn Otoshi for her simple way of conveying a lesson on bullying through colors,  and helping children to learn to count.
#4 - September 21, 2016, 12:35 PM

Lane Fredrickson's Monster Trouble. Cute and colorful. MC isn't portrayed as is customary (being scared of monsters), and finds an adorable way of getting them out of her hair. (Love that it rhymes, too.)
#5 - September 21, 2016, 03:09 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Bananapants
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Anne Marie, we have very similar taste.

I'll add Deborah Underwood and Claudia Rueda's HERE COMES _______ CAT books because they make me laugh out loud even after multiple reads.

Dan Santat's BEEKLE for heart (and because I'm still smug about predicting the Caldecott Medal that year.)

WORM LOVES WORM by JJ Austrian and Mike Curato because it could have been preachy and heavy-handed and instead was super-simple and lovely.

And MAYBE SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL by F. Isobel Campoy, Theresa Howell, and Rafael Lopez because the illustrations are so warm and rich and I love the story more every time I read it.

I could go on. And on and on and on. And on.
#6 - September 21, 2016, 04:19 PM
8 )
Uncommon stories for uncommon children: http://www.shaunalavoyreynolds.com
find me on twitter @slr

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Another vote for Worm Loves Worm. I also thought My Friend Maggie by Hannah Harrison was very sweet and special.
#7 - September 22, 2016, 10:53 AM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh! Fun topic!

WAITING by Kevin Henkes is simply beautiful! I'll be back later to add some more! There are sooo many great ones!
#8 - September 22, 2016, 11:35 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
THE CURIOUS GARDEN by Peter Brown is one of my absolute favorites for its simplicity, eco-optimism, and subtle humor.

INTERSTELLAR CINDERELLA by Deborah Underwood is another stellar (ha!) book for its humorous and empowering twist on a classic.

MY BLUE IS HAPPY by Jessica Young is a fantastic way to introduce kids to different perspectives and associations, and to show that it's okay to view the world differently.

MARISOL MCDONALD DOESN'T MATCH by Monica Brown is a colorful, bilingual (English/Spanish), delightful book about individuality and confidence.

And finally, anything and everything by Peter Reynolds, especially THE NORTH STAR and SKY COLOR (really, the whole Creatrilogy).
#9 - September 29, 2016, 03:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Ida Always by Caron Levis/ Charles Santoso for great heart.

How Martha Saved Her Parents From Green Beans by David LaRochelle/Mark Fearing for the humor

Poor Doreen, A Fishy Tale by Sally Lloyd-Jones/Alexandra Boiger for Brilliance

And there are so many more...
#10 - September 30, 2016, 05:23 AM
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:58 AM by Andi W. »
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast by Josh Funk!
#11 - October 02, 2016, 12:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Another vote for WAITING by Kevin Henkes
#12 - October 02, 2016, 04:04 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Specs, Specs II, Pup 681, When the Snow is Deeper Than Your Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Truman

www.jeanreidy.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Hi Everyone,

I'm having a great time reading these books. Thank you for suggesting them. 

Waiting resonates with me.  It resonates as much as My Little Polar Bear by Claudi Rueda, which awakens a deep sense of peace with me.

I have decided to use Waiting as a model for book with the tentative title of Wondering. My manuscript will be totally different, but I hope to capture Waiting's sense of serenity, and to inspire a sense of awe for the value that comes from collective, constructive wondering.
#13 - October 02, 2016, 05:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Ned the Knitting Pirate by our own Diana Murray.  My class adores it. 
#14 - October 02, 2016, 05:31 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Aw, thanks so much, Rebecca!!!  :hug

My seven year old recently became obsessed with EVERYBODY LOVES BACON by Kelly Dipucchio, illustrated by Eric Wight. She thought it was just hilarious, as did I. She also loves IT'S RAINING BATS AND FROGS by our own Rebecca Colby from the UK (a different Rebecca).

Both of my kids also loved BEARD IN A BOX.

I recently read QUIT CALLING ME A MONSTER and that was very funny. So was NORMAL NORMAN.

We tend to go for funny around here.
#15 - October 07, 2016, 12:05 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Melanie Watt's Scaredy Squirrel books
I love the way Melanie's writing makes me laugh, as the little worrywart works to overcome his fears... So cute!
 :spider
#16 - October 11, 2016, 01:46 PM
twitter: @sueirwin88

Safety Stars -
Players who fought to make the hard-hitting game of professional hockey safer
(Lorimer Kids, 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
My son has been enjoying Too Many Moose by Lisa M Bakos. A great rhyming picture book.
#17 - October 14, 2016, 10:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
My favorite recent picture book is SWALLOW THE LEADER by Danna Smith. Yes, she's a friend of mine but I'm speaking on the behalf of my 5 year old granddaughter who asked me to read this funny fish-shark counting book over and over. Educational with great art and fishy humor.
#18 - October 14, 2016, 06:09 PM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
A lot of my favorites are already mentioned. I'll add an author-illustrator: Salina Yoon. I love her PBs because they are so charming and layered. Great read-aloud quality. And the illustrations are so cute. I don't know how she makes all her characters so expressive.
#19 - October 17, 2016, 11:12 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
A lot of my favorites are already mentioned. I'll add an author-illustrator: Salina Yoon. I love her PBs because they are so charming and layered. Great read-aloud quality. And the illustrations are so cute. I don't know how she makes all her characters so expressive.

Agree! And Salina's messages are always so kind and loving.  :love5 her books!
#20 - October 17, 2016, 11:39 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I have a new blog post containing quick reviews for 16 of my favorite recent picture book releases--difficult to narrow them down, but I opted for a variety of publishers and styles. Let me know in the comments which of your favorites I've missed and I'll add them to next month's library purchases. Thanks!  https://marciastrykowski.com/2016/10/26/new-picture-book
#21 - October 28, 2016, 05:11 AM
www.marciastrykowski.com

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Marcia, thanks so much for including MARY HAD A LITTLE GLAM in the mix.  ::-)
#22 - October 29, 2016, 11:15 AM
COMING: Wordy Birdy*Making a Friend*But the Bear Came Back*Knock,Knock*The Farm that Mac Built*Go Fish!*Quiet Wyatt & MORE

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Tammi, sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. I love MARY HAD A LITTLE GLAM and hadn't even realized (or rather, I hadn't remembered) it was a blue board book! Just yesterday I pulled it off a bottom shelf and put it high on display at my library.
#23 - November 08, 2016, 11:48 AM
www.marciastrykowski.com

Members: