SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Geography/Social Studies In Grade School

Discussion started on

In my day, geography came under Social Studies. I've read that's still true, so I assume grade/elementary students know the word "geography."

Please comment if they do or don't. Even if they do, would they also know it by another term?

:thanx from :beam (I finally get to use a different emoji! It's "almost" appropriate to the story.)

#1 - September 28, 2016, 10:45 AM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes. My kids began serious study in second grade and loved the passport program.
#2 - September 28, 2016, 12:37 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
My kids know both geography and social studies -- in elementary school, geography is taught in conjunction with/in the context of the social studies program.
#3 - September 28, 2016, 02:30 PM

Okay, got it. Thanks. Geography as a term is still understood by elementary students.

But what's the "passport program." I could assume based on the terminology, but want to be sure...and is that program widely known?
#4 - September 28, 2016, 03:27 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Arona, I don't know how many schools use the Passport program but the child gets their *passport* stamped when they finish studying a country. Like a sticker program. Extra motivation for kids?
#5 - September 28, 2016, 05:27 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

That's what I thought, V. Thanks for confirming.  :flowers2
#6 - September 28, 2016, 06:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Geography is one of the social studies, but I don't know that kids know the term until middle school. (At least not where I live-- Long Island) They study regions of the US in fifth grade. They may study parts of the state in fourth, but I don't think the teachers separate the geography from the history. It's lumped together.
#7 - October 04, 2016, 09:15 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

In our schools (PA), they also have geography bees in Elementary School. So, yes, they know the term and learn their states/capitals.

Ree
#8 - October 05, 2016, 04:07 AM

Dionna

Hi Arona! You could look up the common core standards of learning for the state where your story takes place, and check out the social studies benchmarks for your main character's grade. I think you can find these online through the state's board of education.
#9 - October 05, 2016, 06:42 PM

Thanks, all.  :star2

There's no state in the story, Dionna, but it's still useful information for the future. Thanks.

It seems some will be familiar with the term, some not. I'm comfortable throwing in a word here or there a kid might not know, especially when its context would make it easy to figure out...it's part of how they learn. (Well, hopefully.)
#10 - October 06, 2016, 06:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
For future reference, here's a link to the national social studies standards I use for the teachers' guides for the social studies mags put out by Carus Publishing. http://www.socialstudies.org/system/files/c3/C3-Framework-for-Social-Studies.pdf
#11 - October 09, 2016, 05:58 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Awesome. Thanks, Debbie.
#12 - October 10, 2016, 04:01 AM

Members: