SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question about dummy of my book

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hi everyone!  :grouphug2
I am not sure that this is the right place, but I have very important question.
I work on big picture book. This is the book by Charles Dicken's story. It has three chapters. And I already made sketches for first chapter. So, the question is - should I make whole dummy to send it to publishing house or I can use just first chapter of the book and couple of finished illustrations?  :umm
#1 - October 03, 2016, 09:56 PM
Smile to Universe, and it will smile to you.

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
In my experience, only a picture book requires a dummy. If your book has 3 chapters, it isn't a picture book. Also, since you are using an already published story, I'm not sure what your aim is in sending it to publishers.

1. Do you want to acquire a job as an illustrator? Or:
2. Are you retelling a Dicken's story with a new twist and want to have a publisher publish it? Or:
3. Do you want to showcase you writing and illustrating abilities?

What is you end goal? Please let us know so we can be of better help.
#2 - October 04, 2016, 06:07 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
In my experience, only a picture book requires a dummy. If your book has 3 chapters, it isn't a picture book. Also, since you are using an already published story, I'm not sure what your aim is in sending it to publishers.

1. Do you want to acquire a job as an illustrator? Or:
2. Are you retelling a Dicken's story with a new twist and want to have a publisher publish it? Or:
3. Do you want to showcase you writing and illustrating abilities?

What is you end goal? Please let us know so we can be of better help.

Thank you so much for your replay!
Well, I did not change text of story. I was inspired by the books of PJ Lynch. For example, he has illustrated 'Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens.
I just made my job as an illustrator. And I want to show my illustrating abilities to World. This will be the book with lot of illustrations.
#3 - October 04, 2016, 02:15 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
So you are illustrating an old work to show how you illustrate? Many artists will choose a story in public domain and illustrate a few spreads to show their work, but you do not submit it as a dummy book. You create a portfolio and send out sample postcards.

See this post about creating a portfolio: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=74823.0

Also see this blog post by our member Stephanie Ruble about the steps to take as an illustrator: http://sruble.blogspot.ca/2016/03/the-path-illustrators-take-to-get-their.html?m=1

I hope I understand correctly what you're asking and that this is helpful.
#4 - October 04, 2016, 03:56 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
So you are illustrating an old work to show how you illustrate? Many artists will choose a story in public domain and illustrate a few spreads to show their work, but you do not submit it as a dummy book. You create a portfolio and send out sample postcards.

See this post about creating a portfolio: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=74823.0

Also see this blog post by our member Stephanie Ruble about the steps to take as an illustrator: http://sruble.blogspot.ca/2016/03/the-path-illustrators-take-to-get-their.html?m=1

I hope I understand correctly what you're asking and that this is helpful.

I mean that I want to publish the book. So, Mr. Dickens wrote the story, I have illustrated the story, and I want to publish the result of it - book with lot of illustrations.
#5 - October 04, 2016, 04:08 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
This is an interesting topic; I had a similar thought....I have illustrated, and would like to have published, a book which is in the public domain.  The text has not changed, only the illustrations.  Would I go through the same process to have it published; ie; query, dummy book, manuscript, and some supporting visuals?
#6 - October 20, 2016, 07:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
This is sounding more like a graphic novel (chapters), as opposed to a picture book. The idea, based on an already published story, might be better subbed as a proposal to a publisher and you could include one page or so of the art, to show where you would go with this idea?
#7 - October 21, 2016, 03:24 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
This is sounding more like a graphic novel (chapters), as opposed to a picture book. The idea, based on an already published story, might be better subbed as a proposal to a publisher and you could include one page or so of the art, to show where you would go with this idea?

Graphic novel? Oh! Thank you! I did not know how to call it.

Well, as member of SCBWI I've got The Book and I found list of publishing houses. I want to send them examples of my art for this book and dummy with first two chapters. I just need to choose to which should I send it.

Also, I have alias name. Wout it be possible to use it while work with publishing house? Or should I use my real name?
#8 - October 24, 2016, 05:43 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You should query with your real name. If you get a contract you can tell them the pen name you'd like to use to publish under, but they need your real name for the contract and payment and copyright. If you don't want the copyright under your real name I think you can incorporate your pen name (like creating a business) so that your real name doesn't appear in the book's copyright info, but am not certain of this.
#9 - October 24, 2016, 07:31 PM

@cynmarko

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
You should query with your real name. If you get a contract you can tell them the pen name you'd like to use to publish under, but they need your real name for the contract and payment and copyright. If you don't want the copyright under your real name I think you can incorporate your pen name (like creating a business) so that your real name doesn't appear in the book's copyright info, but am not certain of this.

Thank you so much for your advice!

I visited lot of publishing house's websites. And I found that lot of them want to get submissions just via professional agent. But I think about myself - I need search for illustrator's agent, am I right? Does anybody know where can I find it?
#10 - October 26, 2016, 09:16 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
As an Author of a book (even if you are also the Illustrator) you look for Literary Agents who rep Author/Illustrators. There are many who do!
If you were only looking to Illustrate, you would be looking at Illustrator Agency's (they do not, TYPICALLY, rep manuscripts). As a member of SCBWI, you can access "the BOOK" which lists Agents for both.
#11 - October 27, 2016, 04:30 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
A lot of literary agents will represent book illustrators who do not also write. Art reps typically take 30℅ commission, while literary agents typically take 15℅. But art reps will try to get you more than just book work. I have no experience with art reps tho, this is just my understanding.
#12 - October 27, 2016, 08:05 AM

@cynmarko

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you so much, Artemesia and chritripp! :)  :grouphug2
#13 - October 28, 2016, 02:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Cyn, I've only seen a few Lit Agents take on folks who ONLY Illustrate but then always thought in those cases it may be the artists have the notion or have even started writing. I know at a conference Rubin Pheffer commented that he would happily look at Illustrators but only those that are hoping to also write, if not now, then at least in the near future.
Are the ones your speaking of strictly Illustrators of other Authors books?
#14 - November 01, 2016, 04:50 AM

Members: