SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Off to my first Conference

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Heading out to the Houston Regional Conference in a few days.  I've got my physical portfolio printed up pretty, my web site portfolio updated, loads of business cards and an elegant, yet casual outfit. 

Any other tips for making the most of it or possibly finding an agent? :horse2
#1 - October 20, 2016, 08:03 AM

I went to my first conference last month -- primarily as a writer, though I illustrate as well.  My biggest tip would be to go in with open expectations.  It's good to have a basic idea of what you want out of the conference, but also allow yourself to do and learn things that you hadn't planned.  You may find something that hadn't caught your eye in the brochure ends up being the most rewarding.

As far as finding an agent, I've read that it's not a good idea to just start pitching your work to professionals at the conference unless they specifically ask you for it.  At the one I attended (SCBWI Midsouth) we were given a list of contacts after the conference that we were encouraged to submit our work to, with a special submission window allowed to conference attendees.

Most of all, don't forget a notebook/sketchbook and writing implements!  I'm sure you'll have a great time.  :)
#2 - October 20, 2016, 12:09 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
As its your first conference, I think the best thing you can do is just be ready to take it all in and meet new people--not just agents/editors, but fellow illustrators and writers. You never know when you might meet your new bff or critique partner. Be friendly and open, go to workshops, sit with new people at meals, chat in line. And have fun!
#3 - October 20, 2016, 12:21 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
What they said...

but don't hand anybody your work under the bathroom stall!! Believe it or not, that happens!  :lol4
#4 - October 20, 2016, 12:29 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I'll be there, too! Our illustrators are a pretty fun group, so relaxing and having fun should come easy. Be sure to bring a jacket or sweater in case the temperature isn't comfortable.
#5 - October 20, 2016, 05:42 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Thanks so much, all of you!!  Very helpful stuff!
#6 - October 21, 2016, 06:08 AM

Members: