SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submitting Fantasy Novel to a Contest

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Hi,

I've been working on a fantasy novel for various years. I think it's almost ready to submit and I'm considering entering a competition. If I win the competition this publisher
will have the rights to publish my book for 10 years. The publisher is local.

The novel I wrote took a life of it's own getting the characters to unexpected places. I believe the novel works out well and leaves the possibility of becoming a series.
Maybe I'm just dreaming (My first book by an educational publisher will be out next year. I have only published poetry, stories and articles.) Yet, I'm not sure if I should submit
my novel, since it could limit my publishing possibilities, if it does well. 

Your comments would be appreciated. Am I dreaming too much?  Should I go for it or check other alternatives? I sent synopsis to two or three publishers before making these last
revisions and they liked it, but said it didn't meet their needs.

Thank you for your insights.
#1 - November 02, 2016, 12:15 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I would be very, very wary of a contest that takes publishing rights for ten years.

ETA: Have you done any research on the publisher sponsoring this contest on sites like Writer Beware, Preditors and Editors, or the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks area on Absolute Write?
#2 - November 02, 2016, 12:59 PM
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:03 PM by Marissa Doyle »
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, Marissa. I know the publisher. It's well known in my country. I did pay a visit to both sites mentioned, though. It was a worthwhile trip. Always something new to learn. Good day.
#3 - November 03, 2016, 01:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think ten years is a long time also. What if they don't publish it until the 10th year? That's a long time to wait. Or do you mean they'd publish now and you wouldn't be able to do anything with it if it went out of print until 10 years had passed. Either way, that is a long time.
#4 - November 07, 2016, 08:11 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Debbie,

If it wins, they publish it within a year. Then they have the rights to it for 10 years. They give a 3,000 prize and then royalties. 
Thanks for your opinion.
#5 - November 07, 2016, 02:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ten years. If a book stays in print that long, it's fantastic. Know that most books go out of print within 2 yrs. It's the sad reality. However, the normal language isn't a specific number of years but rather when a book is considered out of print (less than 50 copies sold in a year? I'm not sure about this and it may vary from publisher to publisher). Since you are an SCBWI member, check a sample contract or ask the lawyer about this. Have you checked out their other titles? Have they been in print for 10 yrs? Check out their authors as well. Most authors have a website, so poke around before you make a decision. I would rather have a heart book of mine published and tied up for 10 yrs than not at all.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Vijaya
#6 - November 07, 2016, 06:52 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: