SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When to query Highlights?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I have a poem submission to Highlights and it has been over 3 months now and status shows "In Progress" on Submittable. Since this is my first time submitting something to the magazine world, I am not sure how long should I wait before status query? And even if I do SQ, not sure who to send to? There are no email addresses mentioned on the Highlights submissions page? Does anyone here have experience in SQing through Submittable?
#1 - November 07, 2016, 12:49 PM

I don't think you can sq through submittable.

I believe they're just running late. I've had a poem "in-progress" with them for almost 5 months.

In any case, I probably wouldn't try to sq till after 6 months.
#2 - November 07, 2016, 12:54 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I also have fiction with them ('in progress' for almost 3 months). So I'm waiting too, though I think now poetry and fiction go through different editors? The nice thing about Submittable is that we always know the status of our submissions. With snail mail, I always worried that maybe something got lost in the mail. Of course, frequent refreshing of Submittable is another problem. :)

Good luck to both of you!
#3 - November 07, 2016, 01:02 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Starfish and Diana. Looks like there is more wait time ahead of me, sigh

I thought I had patience but it is oh, so hard to keep looking at the status on Submittable! And yes, I keep refreshing my email as well :)

Good luck to both of you as well.
#4 - November 07, 2016, 01:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm another who's waiting. I submitted 3 poems 4 1/2 months ago.

Maybe we should just create a waiting party. Anybody got some good author jokes to tell? I'll serve the  :cupcake and  :donut2 and :cake . Oops! That last is a birthday cake. But I guess we're all waiting/hoping for the birth of our published pieces. Maybe serving birthday cake will speed that process along.

Best wishes to all of you.  :crossedfingers
#5 - November 07, 2016, 04:29 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I love a waiting party! I'll bring hot chocolate and mimosas!
#6 - November 07, 2016, 04:54 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I'll join in! I've only been waiting a month on an article, so I know the response won't be coming for a looong time. Don't have an author joke, but here's a cute writing-related quote:

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
- Winston Churchill
#7 - November 07, 2016, 06:49 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I love it, Sara!  :lol4

My mom actually used to quote that when I was growing up. A fun memory!
#8 - November 07, 2016, 07:05 PM

I never heard that one, Sara! I love it!

Great idea to start a waiting party. I was just wondering the other day if anybody else was waiting on them. I usually hear back quicker. Ah, the waiting. It never ends.  :popcorngirl Snacks help.

Let's see, author jokes. Knock knock. Who's there? Writer. Writer who? Writer now I'm making up a really, really bad author joke.  :moose

Good luck to everyone waiting!  :clover
#9 - November 07, 2016, 07:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I'm two months in with a submission. I'll join the waiting party, because it's always better to wait with others! Best wishes to everyone!
#10 - November 07, 2016, 07:51 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I've had a story poem in-progress for close to 4 months. It went into review the day after I subbed it.

I'm keeping busy writing other stuff but I'm still going crasy.  I think if I have to wait 6 months then I might as well quit checking it twice a day. Ha, ha.

:umm
#11 - November 08, 2016, 03:42 AM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:45 AM by jojocookie »
Wiggle-wiggle, Scratch-Scratch, Itch-Itch-Itch 2014
King of the Jungle 2015
Pink Riding Hood and the Warty stick Monster 2016
Song of the Whippoorwill

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hey guys, the Trench threads are all about waiting--there's a new one each month. 

And yes, you need to learn not to check your email and Submittable all day.  I completely understand!  Back in the day, I'd run to the mailbox every day and be devastated when I realized it was a federal holiday and no mail was coming!  But it will make you nuts. 

Write something new like Jojocookie is doing!
#12 - November 08, 2016, 04:07 AM
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:08 AM by Anne Marie »
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :running
Hey guys, the Trench threads are all about waiting--there's a new one each month. 

And yes, you need to learn not to check your email and Submittable all day.  I completely understand!  Back in the day, I'd run to the mailbox every day and be devastated when I realized it was a federal holiday and no mail was coming!  But it will make you nuts. 

Write something new like Jojocookie is doing!

:exactly Been there Anne Marie! More than once.  :lol4

Yes! The trench thread is the place to be while waiting.   
#13 - November 08, 2016, 04:25 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Oh, I agree totally with you, Anne Marie and Sharon, about the Trench. It's a great place.

But this was a waiting party specifically about Highlights since there are so many of us.
#14 - November 08, 2016, 06:03 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
But this was a waiting party specifically about Highlights since there are so many of us.

Yup. Just wanted to make sure everybody knew about the Trenches.

#15 - November 08, 2016, 07:25 AM
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
VAMPIRINA AT THE BEACH (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Yay for the waiting party! From what it sounds like, we are going to be here for a while so I might as well bring some  :turkey2 since it is Turkey month anyway :)

On a blog I read few days ago (I don't remember which one now) there was a writer who said that he heard back on couple of his poems within 3 weeks but this was from High Five. I wonder if different magazines within Highlights have different response times? I have 1 poem (>3 months since submission) and 1 puzzle (1 month) with Highlights and 1 poem with Hello (1 month).

I don't know about the trenches :new (that's quite a name, btw)
#16 - November 08, 2016, 08:35 AM

In the past I have found that High Five does tend to be a little quicker in responding than Highlights. They probably don't get as many subs.

Then again, I subbed a poem to them about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't even moved to "in-progress" yet.

I am totally a compulsive checker. Drives me nuts.

Pass the gravy...:cappuccino  (Supposed to be cappuccino but I think it can pass for gravy.)
#17 - November 08, 2016, 09:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
They take a while to process them and to publish them. I'd be patient and get busy with something else. I don't believe they've ever lost anything of mine. Good luck!
:hourglass :hourglass :hourglass :hourglass :hourglass :hourglass :hourglass :hourglass
#18 - November 08, 2016, 03:25 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
This is an interesting topic as the same question came up in my critique group. Best, Kristen Olsen
#19 - November 08, 2016, 03:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Checking in to see if anybody heard back yet?
#20 - November 14, 2016, 11:00 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Not yet, but I still have a little longer before my wait time becomes unusual. Just curious though. Is there anyone here waiting on fiction or is it mainly poetry? I subbed fiction. The wait time for that has been anywhere from 3 weeks to 3-4 months or so.
#21 - November 14, 2016, 11:10 AM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:32 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Yes, I agree. My wait time for fiction has usually been a month. This time I subbed two poems. Going on four months now.
#22 - November 14, 2016, 12:48 PM
Wiggle-wiggle, Scratch-Scratch, Itch-Itch-Itch 2014
King of the Jungle 2015
Pink Riding Hood and the Warty stick Monster 2016
Song of the Whippoorwill

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Wow..so I just got a reject from Hello for a short poem :( Rejection reason was "not suitable for present needs because Hello is undergoing a redesign". That makes it 5 weeks turnaround time.
#23 - November 14, 2016, 02:00 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Just saw that Highlights updated their needs for Hello on submittable...
#24 - November 14, 2016, 02:38 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Yes, when I submitted to them a month ago they still had their previous needs. I think they must have recently updated. The form rejection still sounded pretty polite (compared to Cricket) -

Dear author,

Thank you for sharing with us your manuscript "<manuscript title>." We enjoyed reading it, but we regret to say that it is not suited to our present needs. Hello is undergoing a redesign. You can read about our new direction on the Submittable page for Hello. (Click on "more.")

Although we cannot accept your manuscript, please don’t be discouraged. What we are unable to use here may be eagerly accepted elsewhere.

Thanks again for thinking of Highlights Hello as you work.

Sincerely,
The Editors
Highlights Hello
#25 - November 14, 2016, 02:46 PM

I got a rejection from High Five in less than a month. Subbed on 10/26. Strangely, it never even moved to "in progress". Just went straight to rejection. Still waiting on a bunch of poems from Highlights.
#26 - November 16, 2016, 01:43 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
So sorry to hear about the rejection, Diana. I had a piece once with Highlights that never went to 'In Progress,' either. Not sure what that means. Good luck with resubmitting and with your poems!
#27 - November 16, 2016, 01:56 PM
Anita N. Amin

Thanks, Starfish! No worries. I've got a bazillion rejections. Comes with the territory. :D

But I must admit, I'd be pretty disappointed if Highlights didn't take anything this round. I feel like I sent them some pretty strong stuff.

#28 - November 16, 2016, 02:42 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Can I join the party? This is actually my first post here but I'm a long-time reader now.

I have stories sitting with High Five and Highlights plus a poem with Hello. I've had stories submitted since them rejected so I was fairly hopeful...
#29 - November 19, 2016, 06:22 PM
Twitter: @ChristineNEvans

Best of luck, Christine!  :goodluck Hope you hear back soon. High Five and Hello tend to be a lot faster, in my experience. I've been waiting on Highlights since June.
#30 - November 21, 2016, 06:18 AM

Members: