SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When to query Highlights?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hooray for Jayca and Diana! And welcome to Mpug128!
#121 - March 17, 2017, 07:32 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Welcome, Mpug128! And congrats to you, Diana. I don't get High Five, so I didn't see your poem but I'm sure it's mah-velous! :)

Speaking of Highlights and BBers, Jody Jensen Shaffer has a cute story in April Highlights called "Earth Day Birthday".
#122 - March 17, 2017, 08:47 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congratulations, Diana and Jody!
#123 - March 21, 2017, 08:24 AM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona

Orchid,

Regarding your inquiry on whether I'd heard on my June 2016 puzzle submission: Yes, a few weeks ago I received a personal rejection. They liked it and even tried it out on local elementary students. Unfortunately, it seemed a little too advanced for most. It was a math/logic puzzle. I've sold them several math/logic puzzles in the past, and Allison Kane, the Assistant Editor, said they'd love to see others. So I worked up another (simpler one) and sent it.   

Thank you for asking and good luck on your own submissions.   

Also, on a very happy note, Highlights did publish my poem "The Glumps" in this month's issue. It was originally accepted back in 2011. It was wonderfully illustrated and received a full page layout on page 7!

------------------------
Orchid asked on March 1, 2017:

AzGuy,

Did you hear anything on your June 2016 puzzle submission? Or are you still waiting?
#124 - March 21, 2017, 08:59 PM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks AzGuy for getting back to me. Sorry that you had a rejection on your puzzle but I am amazed that Highlights went out that far to try it out with local students. I don't have much experience with them because I haven't sold anything yet. I have a math puzzle too and I am not sure how complex/simple they would find it?

Congrats on the published poem. That's wonderful :)
#125 - March 21, 2017, 09:54 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I remember reading and liking your poem, AzGuy. It was funny! Congratulations!
And wow, they must've really liked your puzzle to do all that work!
#126 - March 22, 2017, 12:47 PM
Anita N. Amin

I saw that one, too! Well done, Az!
#127 - March 23, 2017, 09:36 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Saw the poem, too, Az. Nice job. Congratulations! Myself, waiting on an Aug fiction sub and Sept rebus sub. Good luck to everyone who is waiting. :writing3
#128 - March 23, 2017, 12:19 PM
Tween Now & Then, 2017

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm waiting on an Aug (8/21) fiction sub too. Good luck to you and everyone else waiting!
#129 - March 24, 2017, 01:56 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Just got a personal rejection on my Aug fiction sub. A little over 7 months. :( Time for a cup of tea. Then I'll keep trying. :)
#130 - March 27, 2017, 01:48 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Sorry, Starfish! It's hard to get an R on such a long wait--but it's good that it was a personal R. Keep writing!  :flowers2
#131 - March 27, 2017, 01:53 PM
--Sydney Smith

Sending a hug and virtual chocolate, Starfish. I recently had a 7 month form "no" from one of the bug mags.  So hard when a longer wait gets your hopes up. (at least for me anyway)  But we keep on keeping on ...   :bangbreak 
#132 - March 27, 2017, 01:54 PM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Very sorry to hear that news, Starfish. A personal r isn't easier, even if it's helpful. Keep writing, mi amiga.
#133 - March 27, 2017, 03:38 PM
Tween Now & Then, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hugs, Starfish.  :hug  Yep, those long-wait rejections are extra hard. Hope you can find another home for your story.
#134 - March 27, 2017, 03:59 PM

Sorry, Anita! :( I know how disappointing it can be when you wait so long.  :hug :drinking2 <--in case you want something stronger. :)
#135 - March 27, 2017, 04:24 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Thanks, Sara, CarrieLee, James, Ev, and Diana! You guys are wonderful and cheered me right up. :) Yes, I did get my hopes up but it's all good today. Time to write!
#136 - March 28, 2017, 06:52 AM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Starfish, sorry for your reject. Long waits can get hopes high! But I am glad you put this behind :)
#137 - March 28, 2017, 08:57 AM

Looks like we're swimming in the same ocean, Starfish. Personal rejection  3/28 on an 8/26 fiction sub. Ah well, still a Sept rebus sub and a Feb fiction sub on the pending currents. 🚣‍♀️
#138 - March 28, 2017, 09:02 PM
Tween Now & Then, 2017

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Oh, I'm so sorry, James. Here's a pretend cup of tea for you. And you still have 2 more with them! Wishing you the best of luck on those remaining pieces.
#139 - March 29, 2017, 08:46 AM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:50 AM by Starfish »
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Got a personal reject on my Oct Math puzzle submission inviting me to submit more in the future. I am so happy because this is my first ever personal reject. Yay! Though a reject ultimately, it feels great :) I still have one more that I submitted in December.
#140 - April 06, 2017, 03:45 PM

Nice job, Orchid :cheesy. Getting that first personal rejection is a significant milestone. Best of luck with future submissions.

JP
#141 - April 06, 2017, 03:54 PM
Tween Now & Then, 2017

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks James.
#142 - April 06, 2017, 04:08 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Yay, Orchid! I remember my first personal R from Highlights and how good it felt. It meant I was getting closer! Good luck and keep submitting!
#143 - April 06, 2017, 05:57 PM
--Sydney Smith

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I would like to share that I just got 2 rejects from Hello within 9 days of submission. One was form and the other was personal with a comment on how my story was "well done" and invitation to submit more :) They are placing a 3-month moratorium on submissions and will have new guidelines for writers soon.

I'm so excited that this is my 2nd personal reject. :) I feel I'm so close...I am still waiting on a Math puzzle that I submitted in Dec. Fingers crossed!
#144 - April 19, 2017, 08:55 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congratulations on the personal rejections, Orchid! And thanks for letting us know about the moratorium. I wonder if High Five will close as well. I'm waiting on a sub there.
#145 - April 19, 2017, 09:01 AM
Anita N. Amin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
It sounds like you're very close, Orchid! Congrats on another personal R!
#146 - April 19, 2017, 09:16 AM

Wow, fast turnaround. Congrats on that second personal rejection. Nothing better than seeing increasingly positive results from submitting. No doubt you will have a couple of more submissions primed for when they lift the moratorium.  :typing ;D

JP
#147 - April 19, 2017, 02:00 PM
Tween Now & Then, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yay, Orchid!! I love hearing this kind of news on your submissions.  :goldstar Keep up the great work!

And thanks for the word about the moratorium.
#148 - April 19, 2017, 06:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
 :yay  Orchid!!!  Before long, you will be posting an Acceptance in the good news thread!
#149 - April 19, 2017, 07:00 PM
--Sydney Smith

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Jayca, James, EV and Sara!

And, good luck if you are still waiting on any submissions.
#150 - April 20, 2017, 11:03 AM

Members: