SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustration Tools

Discussion started on

Hi everyone! I illustrated a book about a year ago using acrylic paint on canvas boards. I am looking to expand my illustration tool kit to include an illustrator's tablet and pen and the software that goes with it. I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations, as I am not really familiar with this type of technology.

Also, what software would you recommend for actually designing books and making book dummies? Any advice would be most appreciated! :)
#1 - November 01, 2016, 02:51 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I recently purchased a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (medium). I bought some photoshop brushes from https://www.kylebrush.com/.
I really like it so far. You can really mimic traditional media with those brushes in Photoshop.

Here's an example of one I did recently: http://brownbearcreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/you_rev_web.jpg
I drew in pencil, scanned it in, then colored in Photoshop with the tablet.

I use Adobe InDesign for putting together dummies.
#2 - November 01, 2016, 09:02 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I've been using a Wacom tablet for a decade or so. There are a ton of brushes out there, both free and paid. I think this guy's are about the best available https://www.kylebrush.com/ I create paintings in both PS and AI, you can create book dummies in InDesign, or Word. There are also open source programs that do similar things. There are a number of tablet manufactures, but Wacom seems to be the best (and most expensive.)

I do have a course called Illustrator for Children's Illustration available if you are interested. Here's the free video overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w96Mp4z4CXc
#3 - November 02, 2016, 05:55 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Thank you so much, Abi--that was a huge help. I'm definitely going to get an Intuos Pro tablet, because it seems like a great investment and the sooner I learn how to use it, the better! I love the idea of saving money on paints and canvases, too! Sounds totally worth it.
Thank you for sharing your work with me--it's beautiful! Your characters are adorable--I'm already a big fan of your work and would love to see more! :)
#4 - November 02, 2016, 10:09 PM

Thank you so much, Wendy! Do you use an Intuos Pro as well?
Thanks so much for the link to your video--I look forward to learning more about your course!
#5 - November 02, 2016, 10:11 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I have an Intuos4. Saving up for a Cintique.
#6 - November 03, 2016, 05:48 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Aw thanks, Kara! Yes, saving money on paints and canvases is great. Plus, it's not messy! I had kind of been holding off on getting the tablet for a long time b/c I wondered about the learning curve, etc. But once I realized a lot of children's book illustrators were using tablets, I watched a bunch of videos on how they created their digital illustrations on YouTube, and it made me curious enough to just go for it. I think having those Kyle Brush photoshop brushes is key as well if you want to get a more traditional media feel. I bought the brushes before buying a tablet and just played around with them using the mouse.

#7 - November 05, 2016, 09:32 PM

Awesome--I'm really excited to try out new stuff! It looks like the brushes are fairly inexpensive, too, so that's good news! Are you active on your Brown Bear Creative FB page? I'd love to follow you on facebook.
#8 - November 07, 2016, 08:03 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Oh good- I see you found me on Twitter. I'll follow you too!
#9 - November 07, 2016, 09:08 AM

I did, yes--only problem is I never use twitter! I really need to, though, as I focus more on my writing/illustrating career.
#10 - November 07, 2016, 09:18 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I know- I'm trying to use it more too.
#11 - November 07, 2016, 11:23 AM

Members: