SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Putting together my first postcards

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
I'm putting together my first postcards to send out to publishers.  I'm still beginning my pubisher research, so I found a printer through the USPS site that does very small batches.  I've got color work on one side and BW on the other.  Any tips for me?

I'm working through some insecurity issues.  Although I believe research and targeting of publishers is really important, I used to get stuck doing it--sort of an Analysis Paralysis. I'd spend so much time researching that I'd get overwhelmed and very few actual illustration samples were released into the environment.   

Now, I'm just trying to get something Out There!   Hopefully, by doing small targeted batches often, I can keep up momentum and help make it not such a Big Deal. 

Any other folk have this particular foible?   :writing3
#1 - November 07, 2016, 02:15 PM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
Have a marketing plan. A set mail date and number to mail will help alleviate the fear factor.

I have used gotprint.com for my postcard printing for years. Not sure what the USPS charges for small batches, or what they constitute as a small run, but I would research places like Moo, Vistaprint and other batch printers who are in the business of printing quality products as well.

A lot of places now want electronic only submissions, so make an email blast part of your plan.
#2 - November 08, 2016, 05:54 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I found that ordering a larger number of postcards helpedme get past the difficulty of building a list. I didn't want to waste postcards. Now that I have my list the process is easier - just checking for updates. I have a marketing plan for the year wriiten in my journal including a smaller list to target because of interactions. Now building my email list. I like the Sub It Club's postcard post archive & visit it a lot for reassurance & inspiration. I'm feeling much more comfortable now as I'm starting to get some interaction from publishers (follows on Twitter, etc). I send out about 100 postcards for a general mailing, about 20 for a more targeted effort. It may be small for some people but it's what fits my budget at the moment.

Why are you feeling insecure? Is it because it's new - practice will help. If it's questioning your work make a list of specific areas to work on & seek feedback from peers. I think as long as you are putting in the effort & growing you will feel more confident as time goes by bit from what I hear I think that self-doubt rarely goes away. Acknowledge it, decide what is real & what isn't.

Good luck!
#3 - November 08, 2016, 04:13 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region brazosvalley
Thanks.  I really appreciate your help.  I'll definitely check out all those resources.
#4 - November 09, 2016, 06:13 AM

Members: