SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Finding your story in Highlight High Five.

Discussion started on

Hi there, I have a story forthcoming in Highlights High Five and I was wondering if there is anyway to find a list of all the stories in the current issue listed somewhere online. My contract did not say which issue, and my library has stopped carrying it. I've googled things like "Highlights High Five current issue contents" etc. but I have not found a thorough list, only partial lists in their teacher guides. I can definitely check different libraries or bookstores but was just wondering if anyone had a different source. Thank you!
#1 - November 14, 2016, 10:38 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi Christine,

Congrats on the HL contract! I'm not aware of anyway online that has a list of the current issue's stories, although there could be one and I just have never found it. Hopefully someone will be able to let you know more on that.

However, HL does tend to buy pieces up and sort of stock them. I am waiting for two forthcoming stories to appear that I sold about two years ago. HL is very good at sending their contributors copies out, so if you haven't seen it, then it most likely hasn't gone to print yet.

How long ago was this?

Hope this helps and I do hope someone knows of a source with that list. That'd be pretty cool!
#2 - November 14, 2016, 11:05 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Highlights and High Five buy items for stock. You are generally notified about 9 months out that your item is going to appear in a certain issue and given a proof.  When it does appear you receive 2 copies in the mail.  Occasionally I have just received the copies in the mail without being notified and given a proof ahead of time.  It can take years for a piece to appear.  I'm at the ten year waiting mark on a couple of pieces. 
#3 - November 14, 2016, 11:31 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
WOW! Ten years, Rebecca?  :faint
#4 - November 14, 2016, 11:43 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What Rebecca said. I'm still waiting for a couple of poems and articles to be published ... going on 13 yrs. LOL.
#5 - November 14, 2016, 11:54 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
There is a list of all the magazine content in the audio editions of High Five:

https://www2.highlights.com/high-five-audio?_ga=1.15996150.1519371096.1464001723

I compared my most recent High Five with it's audio edition and it's all there!  ::-)  The audio editions are really nice!

I'm waiting with some poems with High Five and Hello that were accepted summer 2015 and was informed one poem may run this spring in Hello but haven't heard anything about High Five. Hope all those waiting have their pieces published soon!

Sue

#6 - November 14, 2016, 01:47 PM
www.suegagliardi.com
Twitter: @Sue_Gagliardi
The Mysterious Writing Machine - Schoolwide 2015
Benjamin's Bookshelf - MeeGenius/HMH 2013

:congratswave--with best wishes they pub it soon!

Thirteen years, V???? Geesh! I have an age-spot that old.

Maybe older.

Probably a lot older.

((((((((Denial))))))))
#7 - November 14, 2016, 02:22 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:lol4 Arona

Sue, thanks for that great link!
#8 - November 14, 2016, 06:51 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I just got a proof this past week for the May 2017 edition of High Five. So excited to see it in print!

10 and 13 years?? Wow, that's impressive.

I didn't know they did an audio version - thanks for the link Sue.
#9 - November 19, 2016, 06:25 PM
Twitter: @ChristineNEvans

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congrats, Christine and Christine!

We get High Five so I will look for your story in the May issue, Christine E. How long did you wait from acceptance to publication? I have one waiting with High Five but it hasn't even been a year yet, so I know I still have lots more waiting.
#10 - November 20, 2016, 06:50 AM
Anita N. Amin

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thank you Starfish. I submitted in June '16, accepted in August.

I might subscribe to High Five for my two for Christmas :).
#11 - November 20, 2016, 08:14 AM
Twitter: @ChristineNEvans

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Highlights High Five is indexed in Primary Search, a database provided by EbscoHost. Your local public library probably has a subscription to this database. The database offers indexing and abstracting from 1985- to the present. It offers full-text of articles from 1993- to the present. NOTE: Highlights High Five is only in the database from Vol 9, Issue 7 2015 - to the present.

Highlights High Five
may be in other databases, but this is the one I have access to via my public library.
When your article is published in Highlights High Five, you can search for it by your author name or by  title, subject, keyword.

You may browse all Highlights High Five articles by opening Primary Search, choosing Advanced Search, Selecting Field SO Journal Name, typing Highlights High Five in the search box, and pressing enter/search. You will have access to all the issues from Vol 9/Issue 7 to current (which by the way is January 2017).

Congratulations on acceptance of your articles.
#12 - November 26, 2016, 06:54 AM

I haven't been on the boards lately and just wanted to come back and say thank you to everyone for all the replies. This is great information!
#13 - January 26, 2017, 08:28 PM

Members: