SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Tales From the Tip of a Brush - Illustrator Katie Baklinski

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Here is my new illustration portfolio website!

www.katiebaklinskiillustration.com

Any comments would be welcomed, especially thoughts about any portfolio improvements that could help attract art directors!

Thank you!  :grin3
#1 - November 23, 2016, 04:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Your pieces show a good variety while a certain gentleness comes through in each one. I think the one of the nursing mothers might interest an art director if his/her publisher has a book that features this activity. I like it but wonder if it  might have too narrow an audience. The two pictures that feature the little blond boy caught my attention. Do you have a story for those illustrations?  I can imagine that little guy meeting various animals at the beach and having fun but each time he imitates the animal and it runs, flies, digs a hole and disappears, etc. Finally, he meets another little boy and they play together  until the sun goes down-- or something along those lines. I think you could add one or two more pictures of the blond boy to show how you keep him looking like the same child. Not as easy as it sounds, in my experience, but you've done it very well!
#2 - November 23, 2016, 08:30 PM
Sheila Welch,  author/illustrator. Don't Call Me Marda, Waiting to Forget, Something in the Air, The Shadowed Unicorn, Little Prince Know-It-All

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you so much Sheila! That was such a detailed and helpful comment. The pictures with the blonde boy are from a story that I wrote for my little cousin. I've rearranged the portfolio to include more of those sequencial illustrations. I really appreciate the feedback!
#3 - November 26, 2016, 06:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Katie, I enjoyed visiting your website and seeing your lovely illustrations. I'm not an illustrator, so I don't have suggestions about the pictures themselves.

At least on my computer, the forward and back arrow buttons on your home page were on top of the illustrations and I found that detracted a bit from the illustrations themselves. Viewing the pictures in the thumbnail section was not a problem, so maybe it's not a big deal.

Best wishes to you.
#4 - November 27, 2016, 06:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you for the feedback, EV, and for your kind words!
To be honest, I'm not sure how to change the arrow placement in the slideshow, or if it is possible with the program I use. However I'm very glad to hear that the humbnail option works well as an alternative!
#5 - December 06, 2016, 10:05 AM

Members: