SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Fair ebook compensations structure?

Discussion started on

Hello all,

I'm not an author or an illustrator so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting here but I would like to ask for some insights and advice specifically from children's book authors.

I'm in the very beginning stages of setting up an e-book subscription service for children. The aim of this service will be to encourage parents to read to their young children (ages 0-7) and in turn hopefully encourage those children to go on to be readers. As much as this subscription service is for children, we would like it to create the opportunity for independent authors to grow and gain recognition based on the popularity of a book with its audience.

I have young children myself and have noticed that kids tend to have a few favorite books they like to be read every night. The question I would like to ask you all is, how you would feel about a pay per read royalty structure? As kids books are shorter and often re-read many times, do you feel this would be a more fair way to reward children's authors? and what would you consider a fair pay per read price, bearing in mind that the child has unlimited access to the book?

Thank you all in advance for your help and advice!

Ralph
#1 - December 15, 2016, 10:05 AM

Members: