SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Best illustration Software or App For Mac

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona

Hi Illustrators! I am new to this forum--but looked aroujhd and did not see anything on best software to illustrate for MAC. If I missed it and there already is a discussion please--redirects are welcome. So I am an old-school artist (Inking by hand, painting on canvas etc) After a few years (30) I spent in technology--yes I am technology savvy in other areas, I have returned to writing and illustrating. I have a Intuos pro tablet but now I need the best /right software. I realize best and /right are subject terms. I am defining "best for me as one that will allow me to draw on the tablet like I would on paper and to create an end result that looks as good as if I hand inked in and then painted it but has all the "vectors" need to be utilized digitally or printed traditionally. I would like the ability to vary ink nib and color and tool variation like paintbrush pencil etc.. and full array of color options. I also want the ability to scan and trace. I want the ability to add text and folder of easy to manipulate standard images like circles and boxes as well as thought bubbles and the ability to type or add text to the illustration. Ideally I am looking for an application that wont weigh down my hard drive (I have a MacBook Air). Subscription is okay as long as I can choose to save in the cloud or not as well as have the explicit understanding that my images belong to me. (That reminds me I want the option of watermarking anything or being able to embed a tracer if it is used). Lastly, I dont want to break the bank. Here are a few I found in my research...please weigh in on these or share your "best/favorite " application  if you have one. Artboard, Sketch, and Intaglio... Thank you! Noreen
#1 - December 17, 2016, 10:00 AM

I'm not a professional artist, but I just got an iPad Pro and did some research on apps I could use the Apple pencil with. This list of apps was the most useful to me: http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/illustration/12-best-apps-for-drawing-sketch-paint-design-ipad/ It discusses what tools are available and how well they perform.
#2 - December 17, 2016, 06:19 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
 :thankyou! Thank you!
#3 - December 18, 2016, 08:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I use photoshop - from what ive read it should work fine on a macbook air if you have enough ram - 8gb. But it doesnt have a folder of easy to manipulate images that I'm aware of. You could look into Manga Studio, ive heard great things about it.
#4 - December 22, 2016, 03:43 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thank you! I am playing around with ArtRage right now.. Seems to be going ok
#5 - December 22, 2016, 03:52 PM

Members: