SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Possible market for mystery/horror middle grade short story?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi everyone, my name is Sarah Chen and I'm new to SCBWI. I submitted a middle grade short story to an anthology call for a mystery/horror collection in the vein of GOOSEBUMPS. It didn't get selected and now I have this short story (around 5800 words) that I'm not sure what to do with. It's about a girl who attends a summer camp for the arts but only wants to read. She thinks she has no artistic talent and feels left out. Then she stumbles upon a teacher who is trapped in a spell. The girl must use her talent to save her teacher and eventually she realizes her talent is her wild imagination. My question is are there any magazines for children (middle graders) that would look at horror? There is talk of death but there's no violence. It's scary but in a creepy way (like the Goosebumps books). I guess it could be thought of as adventure/horror/mystery with a contemporary touch. I checked CRICKET but it seems to run more literary. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. Thank you!
#1 - January 03, 2017, 11:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think Cricket is a good choice because they will take longer stories and serialize them. Most magazines for MG have word limits that are too short (800-1,500 words). Good luck with it. Vijaya
#2 - January 03, 2017, 11:36 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
EMBER takes longer stories, up to 12,000 words, and has middle grade as part of its audience. But it, too, is literary, so might not be a good fit.

http://emberjournal.org/submission-guidelines/

ETA: I don't have time right now to go through the lists, but you might find some others on my Writing for Children's Magazines website (http://evelynchristensen.com/mags.html). The links are at the bottom of the page.
#3 - January 03, 2017, 11:55 AM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:01 PM by Ev »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Thank you, Vijaya and Ev. This is very helpful! I'll check out Ember Journal and the link to Writing for Children's Magazines. Perhaps I'll take a chance with Cricket and send it to them. Thanks again!
#4 - January 03, 2017, 07:11 PM

Members: