SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Word for Mac

Discussion started on

Hi, everyone,

Does anyone use MS Word for the MAC? Do you like it?

I’ve been using Pages on my iMAC (OS X, Mavericks), and I find it woefully deficient and time-wasting.

Thanks,
Gatz
#1 - January 16, 2017, 11:58 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

I have the 2011 Word for Mac. I find that it does everything I expect from Word. Functionality is essentially the same on Mac as it is on Windows.
#2 - January 16, 2017, 12:18 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I also use 2011 Word for Mac. For me, the only disadvantage of the Mac version compared to the PC version is that there is no side-by-side comparison for different versions of the same document. It's not a big deal to open another document and scroll both, but it was a feature I used a lot on my old Dells.
#3 - January 16, 2017, 01:04 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm on my third (at least) iMac, and I have used Word on all of them. I haven't had a problem and I do like it. I've never used Pages. 

I just got my latest iMac, and I have had an issue with files disappearing when I save them to iCloud, on occasion. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but have to contact them.
#4 - January 16, 2017, 01:07 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm on my second Mac and I've always used Office for Mac -- currently Office 2011. The only glitch I've run into on either version is the inability to print solid bullets; they always come out as open squares for me (same on my old MacBook) and no, it doesn't seem to be how I've set the bullet style.

If you do go that route, I recommend purchasing Office 2011 for Macintosh, which is basically a hard-copy manual, and very useful. FWIW, I still refer now and then to the Word manual I got when I moved from a Leading Edge to a Win 3.1 computer and no, it was NOT printed on papyrus.
#5 - January 16, 2017, 03:46 PM

Thanks so much!

According to the sites I checked, the 2011 is no longer available. I found this ad on Amazon, which I assume is the 2016 update:

“Microsoft Office 365 Personal | 1-year subscription, 1 user, PC/Mac Download, $69.99.

This item requires a download directly from Microsoft.”

2 questions:

1)  Is this “Office 365” what I need (does it include Word)?  Can I not get just Word?

2)  Do I have to pay $69.99 every year to renew it?

Thanks,
Gatz
#6 - January 17, 2017, 09:27 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I have Office 2011 on my Mac and Office 365 on my iPad, Gatz, and for the Mac I paid a one-time fee, but on my iPad I have to pay $10 a month to be able to use Word (and the other Office programs, of which PowerPoint is the only other one I use). You might need to go check out Microsoft's site to see if you can get "just" Word and if it's a one-time fee or a yearly fee.
#7 - January 17, 2017, 10:32 AM
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:34 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Thanks, Verla and everyone.

I've just been looking at the Microsoft and Apple websites, and it looks like I'm out of luck (?):

--To  get/use Office 2016 / Mac, I must upgrade my Mac to Mac OS Sierra.

--To upgrade to Mac OS Sierra, I must back up my Mac on Time Machine.

--To back up my Mac on Time Machine, I’m told I have to buy an external hard drive--ARE YOU KIDDING, APPLE?

(Help, please!)

Gatz
#8 - January 17, 2017, 01:03 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Gatz, I use Pages and just convert it to a .docx file so that people with Word can read it and edit, etc. It's a bit simple, but I've been able to do everything I need to do. I struggle with headers, I have hard time getting a second page header to be different than a first page header, but other than that it has worked for me.

Your scenario from Apple sounds like a nightmare! I've debated buying Word for Mac but never have yet.
#9 - January 17, 2017, 06:47 PM

Well, it looks as if my older iMac won't work as well with the new OS Sierra, so I'll be forced to find Mac Office 2011.

Unfortunately, Microsoft says it can no longer be downloaded.

Does anyone know where I might find it?

Thanks again,
Gatz
#10 - January 20, 2017, 11:18 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Hi Gatz. I have what is quantified as a "vintage" iMac. I've used both Pages and Word. I prefer Word for writing. I'm pretty basic though: write. read. revise. No problems with that.
#11 - January 20, 2017, 11:31 AM

Thanks so much, everyone, for all the helpful posts.

DKShumaker, can I ask you:  Is there a way to make a Pages document anything other than white? If so, I haven't found it, and Pages Help isn't very helpful on many matters.

What I need to do is to find a way to make the Pages background color light green or blue, because these colors are much easier on my eyes, which strain quickly, even wearing glasses.  When I had a PC and used Windows Word, you can just set the background color in Preferences (can't remember if it was Windows preferences or Word preferences).

Pages preferences doesn't let you do this, and neither does Mac preferences, unless I'm just missing it.
Do you know?

This may sound like a trivial problem, but for someone with eye problems, it's a big deal.

Thanks again.

Gatz
#12 - January 21, 2017, 12:11 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sorry Gatz, I've never tried and did just now and don't see anything that allows you to do that.
#13 - January 21, 2017, 01:05 PM

You could create a text box in Pages (Insert --> Text box). Make sure your Inspector pane is showing (View --> Inspector). Then, click "Format" at the top. Under Style, you can select the background color of the text box. Drag the text box so it covers your entire page. Then go to Arrange --> Send to back. That should do the trick. Not sure how it will handle your adding multiple pages, and it's definitely a work-around. But it's something!

Like dkshumaker, I use Pages and just convert to .docx when sending documents to other people. It's annoying to not be able to check my formatting for agents / editors, but no one has had any problems with it. Though, to be fair, I use Scrivener for 90% of my writing, so I don't spend that much time in Pages.

By the way, Scrivener does let you change the background page color!
#14 - January 21, 2017, 05:37 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Thanks, Annemleone.

I've just looked at Scrivener and it seems like a high-powered tool for docs with graphics and images.

I assume you can just set the background color in Preferences so you don't have to do it each time?

Could I use it as well for plain old text manuscript documents with nothing inserted? I'd buy it just to get the background color.

Thanks again,
Gatz
#15 - January 21, 2017, 06:31 PM

Scrivener is amazing! Yes, it has the ability to incorporate documents with graphics and images. But it will also outline for you, let you rearrange the outline via drag and drop, open multiple panes at once, and it saves all templates and formats that you want (including background color). I would go to the Scrivener website and watch their video on it:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener_ios.php

You can also search for "Scrivener" on these boards. I know I'm not the only member of the fan club!

Also, having just been on Scrivener's site, I see it's on sale right now for $11.99. At that price, honestly, I would just buy it! It will get you the background color you want, and then if you want to take advantage of the other features, you can. I should say, it is a bit of a steep learning curve to use it, but if you google questions, you can usually find answers, plus they have an extensive set of instructions. And I do believe, no matter what, you can always just open a brand new document and type. So you don't have to figure everything out right away.
#16 - January 22, 2017, 08:34 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hey Gatz.  I started using Pages a few years ago and like most of the features.  I do just add a shape and fill in the color I want if I need to.  It has a lot of advantages, and of course disadvantages.  My favorite took is adding a border frame.  It has made my picture books look more professional.  I also use Pixelmator to create my photos, than I insert in Pages.  Pixelmator has all the tools of Photoshop but is easier to me and much less expensive! I am really liking it and have created 3 picture books this way!  I have to google "how to" a bit to learn new tricks on pages and numbers!  Best of luck.
#17 - January 22, 2017, 01:17 PM
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:20 PM by lori-chown »
Make it a Utopian Day!
Lori Chown

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
should say, it is a bit of a steep learning curve to use it, but if you google questions, you can usually find answers, plus they have an extensive set of instructions.

Also, there are books that take you through it step by step. Scrivener for Dummies was a great help to me a few years ago and there might be others by now. You can always check your local library first to see what might be helpful for you.
#18 - January 22, 2017, 07:05 PM

Thanks again, Annemleone.

When I go to the Scrivener site, I see the $11.99 sale price. But when I look at the page for Mac OS (iMac), it says on sale for $26.99.

Do you have any idea which I'd pay? (I looked at their Contact Us page and they say that you can expect a 2-day delay in getting questions answered, but the sale is only good today.)

Gatz
#19 - January 23, 2017, 11:29 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Gatz, I wondered the same thing. I think, but could be wrong, but the app for the iPad is $11.99 but the full version for Mac is $26.99. I've been debating for years if I should buy Scrivener and haven't decided if I will. . .
#20 - January 23, 2017, 12:54 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I guess my main question is:

Can I use Scrivener JUST to compose text documents (stories), without any organizing help or boxes or other bells or whistles?

Gatz
#21 - January 23, 2017, 01:06 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Yup. There's a command to make the writing box full screen w/o any of the bells and whistles.

Back to the download from the Scrivener site literature http://www.literatureandlatte.com/ or from the Apple store, I think downloading from Scrivener means you'll get updates faster since it takes a while for  Apple to satisfy itself that it works like it should, there's no malware encoded, etc.

I suspect the price differential is a mark-up that partially pays for the vetting--or else Scrivener is running a January sale. It also might be slightly easier to buy from the Appstore https://www.literatureandlatte.com/download_mac.php

But  before you take my word for it, do a search for discussions about whether to download Scrivener from Apple Store or from Scrivener. Here's one: https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/3bawxu/scrivener_for_mac_should_i_buy_on_app_store_or/

#22 - January 23, 2017, 01:24 PM

Thanks, Anne!

What would I ever do without the Blue Board?

Gatz
#23 - January 23, 2017, 01:52 PM

Members: