SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Correct presentation of a dummy

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I'm sorry if this seems like a very ignorant question, but I'm new to all this.

I'm currently putting together my application for 'Writing With The Stars' and as I'm submitting a MS that I have written and illustrated, I'm planning on submitting a dummy (I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology as the illustrations are all complete, it's not a WIP).

What I'm unsure about is how I present the text and illustrations. Do I insert the entire MS as one block of text with the illustrations below? Or should I match the text with the corresponding illustrations? If I'm matching the text and illustrations then should the text be over the illustrations or sitting separately. Is this just a matter of preference or is there an industry standard?

Thanks in advance for your help.
#1 - January 10, 2017, 03:22 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
A dummy is a mock up of the book. Generally, a book dummy contains mostly tight pencil sketches of the pages with the text in place as you envision the story. Included in these pencil sketches are two to three finished pieces of art. The final product can be an actual physical booklet mock-up or a pdf. I also include a separate file of the manuscript only. I have sent both types of submissions to agents and publishers, but in recent years, most submission guidelines ask for electronic files. Many places want you to query before submitting a dummy. Read each places' individual guidelines to know what they want.

FWIW: Submitting a dummy with completed art all the way through can be detrimental as the editors and art directors will have changes to suggest. I have yet to create a book where there weren't revisions to either the text or the art or both.
#2 - January 10, 2017, 07:52 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated.

Generally if I were applying to an agent or a publisher I would approach things differently too, however this is actually an application for a mentoring program. They have asked for the 'dummy' to be sent with the application (as one document) but as I've actually completed work beyond the dummy stage I'm wondering how best to present it. I'm absolutely expecting changes will need to be made to both the text and illustrations (I'm even looking forward to it =) ) however my feeling is that sending the dummy with competed artwork won't be detrimental in this case as it is a mentoring program and the purpose is to critique the work.

Perhaps the best approach in this instance is to send the full MS with the illustrations inserted separately below.
#3 - January 10, 2017, 11:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
You mean you've taken the art for each spread to final? I would still format it as a dummy - ie your art & text on the same corresponding pages. You could make a note in the why you are applying to this particular mentor of the fact that you anticipate receiving feedback to aid you in approaching the revision of the text & illustrations in the attached dummy if selected for a mentorship. (still counts as a dummy if it's not yet published I think)

Good luck with your entry!
#4 - January 11, 2017, 06:16 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for your help Marla. Yes, I've taken them all to final (I clearly need to brush up on the lingo). I'm totally aware that this isn't the way things are usually done but it's my first MS and I was really doing it to see if I could. Now I know that I can I'd love the help of a mentor to improve my work, as the illustrations will definitely need editing (and the witting too no doubt).

Thanks so much for the tips. I think I'll do what you're suggesting. I was hoping to just include a link to a gallery (as I'm also a little concerned that mailing the final works as one doc will be impossible due to size) but having read the guidelines I think they want the actually dummy.
#5 - January 11, 2017, 11:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
The last time I submitted a pdf dummy I had to use an online tool to shrink my PDF down to size. I think it was smallpdf.com - maybe check around first to find one that's recommended - I can't find my bookmark.
#6 - January 11, 2017, 04:41 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks Marla, I'll definitely try that. Last time I tried to PDF it for friends it was enormous, even after I reduced the size
#7 - January 11, 2017, 11:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I sent my app today, I see you have the option to send as a Word doc. As a reader I prefer pdf's if I'm not going to be editing so I sent as a pdf. I did use smallpdf.com & it worked like a charm! The file was 1.8mb (even with 2 colour samples). The images appeared slightly fuzzy but not poor enough worry me. 
#8 - January 13, 2017, 07:04 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
I've got my three ready to send now. I was waiting to see if my test email reached my husband and that the quality was ok. It worked fine despite being 7Mb. I can't see in the rules anywhere anything about size but I'm hoping if hotmail allows it to be sent, they will be happy to receive it. Either way I think they send a confirmation email so hopefully I'll know if it's gone through.

Good luck. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
#9 - January 13, 2017, 09:24 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
 :help2
So I am still a little confused. How do I present my mock up as a pdf? I have some illustrations done and a complete MS. I have scanned my illustrations into photo shop. Do I add the text to the illustrations and then save them as a pdf, then submit them as pages one by one? Can you send me an example of what you would submit? I'm sorry if I am too elementary. This is my first picture book submission and I would like to do it correctly without embarrassing myself.
Thank you.

#10 - February 21, 2017, 07:43 PM

Members: