SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Scrivener Shock

Discussion started on

Yesterday I planned to order Scrivener today. For my Mac OS iMac. $26.95.

Today I see that overnight the price jumped to $45.

Too bad. I really wanted to get it.

Gatz
#1 - January 24, 2017, 10:05 AM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

$45 is the usual price. It must have been on sale. It's sad to miss such a good deal!
#2 - January 24, 2017, 12:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Bummer Gatz, I thought in the other thread you were aware that it was on special up through yesterday for an anniversary sale. I did not buy it either. I just couldn't decide and ran out of time. :-) But I have heard you can get it free for 30 days for a trial run, which I think I'm going to do. That way I'll know if I really think I'll use it before I spend the $.
#3 - January 24, 2017, 01:50 PM

For what it's worth, I've heard again and again that it's attributes exceed its humble price.....................and its price isn't exorbitant, even when not on sale. (And I hate to spend money. On anything. Hate. It.)

Gatz! Do it!

Do it, do it, do it!

(Just study up ahead of time to know enough about it so you'll know if it will work for you during the trial period.)
#4 - January 24, 2017, 04:38 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I don't know if it's still true, but there used to be a code from SCBWI you could use to get some money off.
#5 - January 24, 2017, 05:35 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Sometimes you can trigger a discount offer by putting something in your shopping cart and leaving it unbought.  Within a couple of days you might receive an email with a discount offer on the item.  I've had it happen for some Amazon things.  It doesn't work for everything, but it's worth a try and costs nothing.
#6 - January 24, 2017, 06:58 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Booth Brothers: Drama, Fame & the Death of Lincoln
Capstone: September 1, 2017

Well, I complained, and got it for 20% off the regular price ($45).

However, when I tried to download it, I was stopped cold in my tracks. Here is the message I sent them:

"I just bought Scrivener and am perplexed by these download instructions:

2) Install the trial version by double-clicking on Scrivener.dmg and then dragging the black-and-white Scrivener icon from the window that appears and dropping it into your Applications folder in the Finder.

3) Eject the Scrivener.dmg disk image in the Finder and launch Scrivener from the Applications folder. If you wish to add Scrivener to your Dock, drag it from your Applications folder to the Dock (do not drag it directly from the install window to the Dock).

I cannot find “Scrivener.dmg” and don’t know where to look for it.

I don’t know what “disk image in the Finder” refers to.

Why do you write these instructions so that only tech types can understand it?"

Replying to this, Scrivener said that it would be "2 days or more" before I got a reply. I hope their product doesn't give me as many headaches as ordering it did.

Does anyone know about this ".dmg" and "disk image in the Finder" ? I can only assume that Scrivener is too cheap or too LAZY to just include some screenshots in their instructions, so the customer will know what the hell he/she is supposed to be looking for!

Gatz

#7 - January 24, 2017, 08:58 PM
SurfYourOwnMind.com, children's creativity blog currently in development.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Look on your desktop. There ought to be a new icon that's a .dmg file. A .dmg file (DMG = Disc iMaGe file) is the way Apple-compatible software's packaged for distribution. Double-click on the image and you should be OK.

Also, Gatz, Dr. Internet is your friend. I knew vaguely what .dmg stood for, but I searched for "dmg definition" and found Disc iMaGe file.
#8 - January 25, 2017, 10:57 AM

I feel your pain.

And angst.

Let's drink!  :drinking2
#9 - January 26, 2017, 03:21 PM
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Einstein.

Members: