SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

1930s YA

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
What are your thoughts on possible publisher (small publishers, maybe?) interest in a YA novel set in NYC Depression-era (1930s)? My  MC is struggling with fear over her grandfather's (with whom she lives) lost job, her involvement in the lives of residents of a hospitality house, and her almost-boyfriend's rejection of this involvement.
#1 - January 27, 2017, 06:55 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
People might say that historicals are a hard sell but look around -- historicals sell steadily. They win awards and can be tied to school curricula. I'm sure any publisher would love a well-written historical in this period. If this is a story of your heart, you must write it, no matter there are other stories set in this period. What you bring is your own unique voice to it. Good luck, V.
#2 - January 27, 2017, 08:01 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I'm with Vijaya. I can't think of any publisher that specifically says they do not take historical fiction. I would read a lot, find the ones that resonate with you, and then submit to those publishers, citing that you chose them bc you are a fan of historical fiction title XYZ.

You could also try to find an agent first; they should have an idea of the current market and know who to target.

Good luck! I think your story sounds interesting. I just read LUCKY STRIKES by Louis Bayard (Henry Holt, 2016) that takes place in this time period and looooved it.
#3 - January 27, 2017, 08:05 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

My WIP is set in the 30's.  My agent loves the idea. I think marketability has more to do with relevant themes than historic era.

:) EAB
#4 - January 28, 2017, 12:14 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Thank you, all, for your good thoughts, advice.

Leslie
#5 - January 29, 2017, 06:30 AM

Members: