SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Searching for title of personalized book from the '80s...

Discussion started on

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me remember the title of a book (or book series) from the 1980s (well--I got it in the 80s but it could be older...). The books were personalized -- I.e. You ordered the book printed with your child's name as the main character. They became quite popular, so every child who received the book got the same story with his/her own name as the mc. There were at least two books in the series, and one was about a journey to either outer space or another planet. They were hardcover picture books with very vibrant colors and they were sort of large -- like at least 8.5x11 or bigger. Does anyone remember these, and can you recall the title of the book or series?

Thanks for reading!
#1 - February 02, 2017, 08:08 PM

I had one of those when I was a kid and I loved it because it had mine and my friends names in it, even if the story was maybe not the greatest. The one I had was a Christmas story. I can't recall a title but I don't think it was that big in size either. Now you've got me thinking about it. I'll have to ask my mom if she still has it.
#2 - February 03, 2017, 02:46 PM
KICK! JUMP! CHOP! THE ADVENTURES OF THE NINJABREAD MAN, Sterling Publishing 2017
BEDTIME MONSTER, Raven Tree Press
SubItClub.wordpress.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I received one in the very early 90's. I believe it was called My Special Christmas Adventure and it had my name, birthday, and maybe favorite color? You assisted Santa with delivering presents.
#3 - February 04, 2017, 06:26 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
There might have been more than one company -- or individual -- who produced these. Desktop publishing was just becoming a thing then and I remember seeing the ads for them in parents' magazines (and maybe along with the coupons in the Sunday newspaper). I also remember reading at article or two about the varying quality of the end product (some were basically bound typescripts, others might have been attractive paperbound books). `
#4 - February 04, 2017, 01:18 PM

Yes I think you are right, AnneB. Actually I think the series (well, at least two books anyway) I am remembering may even have been sold/distributed by one of the big department stores. I could be wrong. This was a very popular one. I actually saw it at a used book sale a while ago and wish I had made note of the title.

The holiday ones sound neat!
#5 - February 04, 2017, 01:53 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My parents made me one when I was... 6 or 7? Would you believe I still have it? I've kept a lot of my favourite picture books over the years.

Mine was a Create-A-Book. Looks like they're still around? The mailing address looks to be the same as the one in my book.
http://www.createabook.com/

My mind is blown that they're still offering the book my parents got me way back when. Unicorns and dinosaurs, best combo. Haha. The story was kinda meh, and the dino info was quite incorrect, but hey, it was personalized!
http://mycreateabook.com/order502.html
#6 - February 26, 2017, 03:17 PM
Allie MacAlister • Illustrator
www.alliemackie.com

Members: