SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Genre blues of a different sort,

Discussion started on

I'm currently on my seventh or so Wattpad book. I'm still wanting to go back to middle grade, but find myself approaching themes more traditional in say ... New Adult cyberpunk. I finished a book of short stories called Beamer The Shape, but generally unsure of my future as a middle grade author despite preferring to read middle grade.

How do you balance the darker themes you want to approach, and still have that middle grade ... feel.

It's hard to describe exactly what I mean. Whenever you play Grandia, there is that consistent feeling of light hearted adventure despite the subtle darkness within the Steampunk story. It seems like a Dark Middle Grade Steampunk inherently feels different from Dark Adult Steampunk. And yet this game seemed to have the best of both worlds: a reference to Totalitarianism, that is kind of wrapped around in a light hearted and fun Neo-Victorian Urban Fantasy.

Compare Final Fantasy 6 and Grandia for example. Both Gaslamp, but ... different.

And this goes back to Science Fiction and Fantasy. I feel like my work is heading back to a subtler version of Parapunk (that's short hand for Paranormal Cyberpunk/Biopunk.) with elements of magic realism.

I was recently told by a friend she didn't want her kids reading a middle grade story about Alien Abduction, no matter how autobiographical or depicted as light hearted.

So I've been kind of bummed out lately.

Rather than "science fiction" I do stories based on the real study of Remote Viewing and how it trickles into a world of Magnetic implants and eventually talking cats. I was recently listed on LitReads, not entirely sure how I feel about that.

Then I forgot about Secret Of nymphs, with talking rats.
#1 - February 12, 2017, 07:30 PM
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 07:32 PM by SarahW »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hi, Sarah. No matter what we write, there are going to be people who won't like it for one reason or another. Typically, you don't want to go too dark for MG (After all, the readers are quite young.), but you can always write for your own enjoyment. Or age up the MC and make it YA.
#2 - February 16, 2017, 04:03 PM

New!
Hi, Sarah. No matter what we write, there are going to be people who won't like it for one reason or another. Typically, you don't want to go too dark for MG (After all, the readers are quite young.), but you can always write for your own enjoyment. Or age up the MC and make it YA.

Well I was considering Tween anyway and not pure Middle Grade. Grandia, one of my favorite games of all time had an ESRB rating of E10. Or everyone ten and up. Although in practice this meant everyone 13+. (Video games from the 90s, or my generation, were kind of dark for Middle Grade.)

Edit: Update. Going to expand on Ana-Lina The Unluckiest, which is similar to my earliest middle grade. It's going to be what I call "Espionage Of Language" which blends Spy Novel and Heroic Fantasy.

The only thing keeping it from being classified such as it's in the same continuity as: Hemato Tomato And Anna-Marie, Nation Under Spat, Uploaded Fairy, The Mortal Avatar, Elle Made Flesh And Whole, Catherina Of Incarnation, Invasion ware, The Gambits, and Magnet Girl Wireless.

The thing about my fantasy books and science fiction novels is they're all roughly in the same continuity. Which makes it hard to market.:/

So I can't be like Sanderson, Thomas Harris, or William Gibson and say "that's the genre my books are" as they're all different. Even different ideas of how to construct virtual reality within the Cyberpunk:

* One version is essentially "Wired Medication" inducing lucid dreams in coma like state.
* One version is based on "Wireless Medication" inducing lucid dreams in coma like state.
* Final version is based on remote viewing, and branches off from the internet in electronic capacity.
#3 - February 16, 2017, 07:29 PM
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:33 AM by SarahW »

Members: