SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PB Manuscript Questions

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Hello! I am an aspiring PB author and am new to the site. I am getting close to submitting my PB ms to an agent and have 2 questions for anyone who can help. Thanks in advance!

1. Most agencies ask for ms submissions to be double spaced; however, my PB is written in rhyming couplets and it would be really hard to read if it was evenly spaced. Currently it's spaced as follows:

Here's line one; it rhymes so well
But will they like it? Time will tell.

I want an agent; that I do.
But if I err, they'll tell me "Shoo!"

Is this acceptable, given the rhyming aspect of the PB? Or should I submit it double-spaced as requested?

2. My PB is interactive: there are tabs to pull. Most agents ask that submissions not have page breaks. However, are instructions such as "The following text begins on a page with a green tab" acceptable?

Thanks again! Have a wonderful day!'

Juliana

:help2 :new
#1 - February 25, 2017, 12:45 PM
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:13 PM by JSC »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi Juliana,

Double-spaced text is easier on the eyes and much easier to edit. It is the rule in the publishing industry and I can't think of any exceptions other than block quotations. I'm not sure I understand why you think it would make couplets more difficult to read.

I don't know about tabs, so I'll let someone else answer your second question.

Good luck!
#2 - February 25, 2017, 09:09 PM
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:38 PM by Michael Sussman »
DUCKWORTH: THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for your input! Double-spaced it is! You're right, it shouldn't be harder to read. I think I just got stuck on it because that's how I write my manuscripts.

Cheers,
Juliana   
#3 - February 26, 2017, 08:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
It's usually best to double space the text and not have page breaks. If you need to give any 'special instructions', it might be better to include that in your query letter. For example: Lines followed by an asterisk will be used for pages with a pull out tab. I try not to give any suggestions for artwork, except when it is absolutely needed in order to understand the text. In those cases, I will state that illustration suggestions are in brackets.

You may also want to head over to the critique board and see if you can get your query critiqued or exchange queries and manuscripts with someone else. This way others will be able to see exactly what you are referring to.

Good luck!
#4 - February 26, 2017, 01:24 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Melody,

Thanks so much! That's the solution I've been looking for! I have posted my query letter in the critique board but I will go back and update it now.  :yourock

All the best,
Juliana
#5 - February 26, 2017, 01:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Another way to handle special instructions is with a short, italicized note between your manuscript title and the text that indicates what you intend visually.

Good luck!
#6 - February 26, 2017, 02:02 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I had to go back and look at the rhyming manuscripts I have that were acquired ---- yup, double spaced with four spaces between stanzas.

Also, I use the italicized notes that Jody recommends right under the title for either a little intro or special notes. It's perfectly fine to put a bracket at the end of a line like this: [Art Note: pull tab].

Best of luck!
#7 - February 26, 2017, 03:23 PM
Legend of The Beaver's Tail '15
Schnitzel: A Cautionary Tale for Lazy Louts,  '16
Moo La La! Cow Goes Shopping, '17
Piece by Piece, '17

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Stephanie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to check on that! I wasn't sure about whether to put 4 spaces between stanzas so thanks for that extra tip.

I, too, like the idea of using italicized notes -- that way the notes can be kept together with the manuscript in case the manuscript is separated from the query letter. Thanks for the tips!

All the best to you,
Juliana
#8 - February 26, 2017, 03:33 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Poetry is often submitted single spaced. I had always thought rhyming picture books would be treated as poems. Good thread.
#9 - February 27, 2017, 07:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I have often submitted short, rhyming texts with 1.5 spacing, and no one has complained. To me the double spacing is SO big that it can disrupt the flow of the story. Also, double spacing can make a rhyming text very long - in terms of spreading it across many pages. I'd rather keep my manuscripts shorter in terms of page count.

But, you certainly wouldn't be wrong to double space, and that's what editors are used to looking at.
#10 - March 04, 2017, 03:49 PM

Coming Soon: Beep! Beep! Special Delivery
Poster Plus
I've submitted my rhyming stories like Stephanie's... double-spaced with an extra space between the stanzas.

Della
#11 - March 09, 2017, 02:41 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Picnic on the Sidewalk / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery 2018 / Precious Baby 2019

Members: