SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion started on

JustinDono

I read all of twilight, and I liked it okay.  Keep in mind, I'm a guy(and a heterosexual), so long descriptions of how beautiful/sexy/godly a 17 year old (looking) boy is don't exactly thrill me.  Plus, Bella was a bit too silly girlish at times, but that's clearly intentional.  But really, it's a good book.  Not amazing fantastic, but really good and interesting.  i read most of it in a single day and wasn't bored (except perhaps for a few chapters in the middle).

That said, i really like that Stephenie Meyers mixed up the vampire mythology and gave it her own spin.  The sunlight thing, the co-habitation with humans, it was all very wel ldone.  i also really like how she made and portrayed the cullens.  They're all very unique and the scenes with them were my favorite.  I liked Edward too, but Bella's constant harlequin-romance-novelesque descriptions of him grated on my nerves.
#61 - November 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:59 AM by JustinDono »

Sarah Miller

I listened to the first disc and was bored. Saw that there were eleven more and said, "Uh, no way." KIM

I wonder if this book suffers in the audio version. I'm on disc 4, and I'm very NOT riveted. I'm sticking with it until my next hold comes in at the library. Some of the phrasing sounds a bit stiff for the 17-year-old narrator, and so far, the whole thing seems run-of-the-mill to me. But so many people just eat this book alive -- what am I missing?  ???
#62 - January 23, 2007, 02:41 PM

Uber Sparkly Poster
Poster Plus
I feel like in order for an audio book to be enjoyable, it has to be really, really tight.  When you're reading over a physical book, you can skim passages that wax poetic for a bit too long, and re-read the ones you love, and I found myself doing this often with Twilight.  There are parts that I would read over and over, and there were parts that I would barely read at all.  I love the book, but probably wouldn't be as fond of the audio version.
#63 - January 23, 2007, 02:56 PM

Barbara Eveleth

This is our next mother/daughter book pick. My daughter loves this. Just wish she'd hurry up and finish it for me to start.
#64 - January 29, 2007, 04:46 AM

Sarah Miller

All right, I hung in there through disc #5 and gave in. I really don't dislike Twilight, but I guess I just don't get it. I feel like I'm really missing something -- how can I be indifferent about a bestseller?  :-[
#65 - January 31, 2007, 05:22 PM

JustinDono

All right, I hung in there through disc #5 and gave in. I really don't dislike Twilight, but I guess I just don't get it. I feel like I'm really missing something -- how can I be indifferent about a bestseller?  :-[

Well, bestseller doesn't mean it's a good book.  In fact, a lot of books that have gotten to the #1 NYTimes spot have been, well, crap.  There are many that are good, however, the best seller list only measures popularity, not quality.  If you don't like it, that doesn't mean you're not "getting" it, it just means you don't like the book, and that's fine.
I thought it was pretty good, but nothing terribly miraculous.
#66 - January 31, 2007, 08:09 PM
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:16 PM by JustinDono »

Sarah Miller

Well, bestseller doesn't mean it's a good book.  In fact, a lot of books that have gotten to the #1 NYTimes spot have been, well, crap.  There are many that are good, however, the best seller list only measures popularity, not quality.  If you don't like it, that doesn't mean you're not "getting" it, it just means you don't like the book, and that's fine.
That's true, but I usually have feelings one way or the other -- "crap" or "not crap" at the very least. For me, Twilight is just...eh...not interesting. I can't even muster up enough oomph to really dislike it.
#67 - January 31, 2007, 09:52 PM

Barbara Eveleth

My thirteen year old loves it. I haven't started it yet so I can't comment. But if my daughter likes a book and TELLS ME SO, well then I am satisfied cuz she doesn't like much. She is a tough nut.
#68 - February 01, 2007, 04:32 AM

Poster Plus
SPOILER WARNING!!!!

I loved Twilight AND New Moon. I know that a lot of people said that they thought Bella was a weak character--but I totally disagree. Bella was head-strong and stubborn, and she left Forks when she did not only for her own safety, but to keep Charlie safe as well. I mean, she tried to save her mom by going to meet James, knowing darn well that she was probably going to die, and did it on her own. If that doesn't make her strong, I don't know what does.

And yes, it was Edward and the other Cullens that saved her, but my goodness, she fought until the last second. It wouldn't have been believable to me if she had been able to kill James herself. She's a human, with no powers, and she was against a strong vampire. She isn't Buffy after all.  ;)

Yes, Bella is totally ga ga over Edward, but let's not forget that part of her attraction to him is probably the vampire thing. Several of the women in the book were taken with Edward as well.

I do feel that both books could have been tightened a little, and there may be a few things that weren't perfect, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I think Stephenie knows how to weave a tale that reels you in, and I also loved her unique twist on vampire mythology. It's normal that some people won't enjoy the book. It's all subjective.
Personally, I'm happy to see that Stephenie got such a great deal for a debut novelist--it's inpiring.  :moose
#69 - February 01, 2007, 06:21 AM

Sarah Miller

Gosh, it sounds like things get a lot more peppy in the second half of the book! Maybe I'll give it another chance one of these days.
#70 - February 01, 2007, 07:52 AM

JustinDono

Gosh, it sounds like things get a lot more peppy in the second half of the book! Maybe I'll give it another chance one of these days.

*warning, spoilers ahead!*

It's really only for about 60 pages near the end (chapters 18-22, i think), followed by about 40-50 more pages of not much going on.  Furthermore, Mrs. Meyers  denies the read the ultimate climax, that is, the reader never gets to see the fight between James and Edward and Emmet (I think that's the big guy's name).  Bella just passes out and when she wakes up, Edward tells her James is dead.
#71 - February 01, 2007, 08:41 AM

emykate03

I read Twilight this week and was totally obsessed. I wrote about the obsession over at my blog. I agree that Bella was a bit of an idiot at times, but MCs aren't supposed to be perfect. I related to Bella and totally fell in love with Edward, fictionally of course.
I heard Stephenie Meyer speak on Saturday. Despite saying that she is very uncomfortable speaking in front of crowds, she was an excellent speaker. I didn't get my books signed, though. The line was about 2 hours long. Oh, and it sounds like her website addresses a lot of the questions she is frequently asked.
#72 - February 05, 2007, 08:38 AM

AnneWritesYA

I read Twilight this week and was totally obsessed. I wrote about the obsession over at my blog. I agree that Bella was a bit of an idiot at times, but MCs aren't supposed to be perfect. I related to Bella and totally fell in love with Edward, fictionally of course.

I read Twilight in a looong day  ;D I couldn't put it down still not sure if it was because of Bella or Edward - but I think emykate nails it - Bella made mistakes and in doing so (for me) I cheered on for her and Edward, knowing at some point it might be like watching a train wreck.

I haven't read New Moon yet, but it's my prize for finishing my WIP.  Can't wait!!  :reading2:
#73 - February 15, 2007, 01:48 PM

Members: