SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Bible verses

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Anyone know of any YA novels that use bible verses? That is, they are included in the text in some way?
#1 - March 01, 2017, 05:45 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Your best source for that would probably be a Christian publisher. If there are any Christian bookstores in your area, you could go and ask about YA novels. B&N has a religious section which might have YA novels in it. Used book stores often do too.

If there is a Christian private school nearby, they might be able to direct you to something in their library. And large churches sometimes have a lending library you could look over for ideas.

Those types of books are the ones most likely have Bible verses used in the conversations or thoughts of a character. You could see how they do it and go from there.
#2 - March 01, 2017, 09:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
A Prayer for Owen Meanie uses Bible quotes periodically.
#3 - March 01, 2017, 09:45 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Francisco X Stork's books have Bible verses spoken by characters. Ex. Marcelo is interested in religion, so it fits. In another book, Irises, the father is a pastor so he will say something from the Bible. The daughters also think about what this means.

Even when characters are not going to church, I recognize a bit of a Bible verse that's used casually in many books. Ex. Do unto others ...;  Truth will set you free; Judge not ...; etc. I see verses esp. in regard to social justice issues: welcome the foreigner, feed the poor, etc.
#4 - March 01, 2017, 11:17 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
My upcoming YA that just went under contract will quote briefly from Job and Romans. But a preacher will do it when I include a small portion of the sermon when my MC attends a church service.

Other YA titles that include a small undercurrent of religion include: HATTIE BIG SKY, WHEN ZACHARY BEAVER CAME TO TOWN, and BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE. I don't remember seeing any bible verses quoted, but it could be that I just don't remember. Kate DiCamillo's books tend to lean toward spiritual themes, but again, not sure of actual verses mentioned. If something comes to mind, I will add it here.

Another good source of information is your friendly neighborhood children's librarian. I usually get a few good tips when I ask for assistance with a particular topic.
#5 - March 01, 2017, 12:42 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I can't recall for certain, but I think Sara Zarr's Once Was Lost might have quoted some Bible verses.

Bodie Thoene's Israel books had Bible verses in them (I think they were published in the '90s by Bethany House, a Christian publisher).
#6 - March 01, 2017, 06:05 PM
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:09 PM by andracill »
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
The award-winning book, The Hired Girl, by Laura Amy Schlitz has religion intertwined all through it (the MC is a Catholic teenager who is working for a Jewish family), but unfortunately I can't remember if actual verses are quoted.
#7 - March 01, 2017, 06:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I've put some on hold from the library.       :flowers2
#8 - March 02, 2017, 04:57 AM

Members: