SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket Magazine

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
I sent a query letter for a magazine article in Cricket Magazine on January 1st. It would be for their October, 2017 Halloween issue. Has anybody written for them? Should I have heard from them already? Would it be ok to follow up? I'm not quite sure what kind of lead time they need for submission. 

Thank you,

Nancy Kanyuk
#1 - March 08, 2017, 04:21 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
How did you send it, Nancy? I believe they prefer their Submittable system now.

Response times are very variable. Rejections can be in a few weeks to six months. Acceptances seem to take longer.
#2 - March 09, 2017, 07:29 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hi Nancy! Glad to have you with us on the Blueboard. I'm sorry that I had to move your post to this section. The Response Time boards are only for reporting response times. If you have other questions or comments they need to go in a different section--like this one where we discuss all kinds of issues regarding magazines.

Incidentally, in the Response Time boards we only have one thread for each publication. If you need to find a magazine thread (if one exists), the easiest way to do that is to click on "Subject" at the top of the list of threads and that will put the topics in alphabetical order. Then you can just scroll down to find what you want.

If you have any questions about all this, feel free to ask. We're here to help.

Ev (with my moderator hat on :cheesy )
#3 - March 10, 2017, 02:28 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Hi Ev: Thanks for moving my post to its appropriate place. I was so thrilled to post for the first time but was (and still am) not sure what I'm doing. I'm sure I will have questions.

Nancy
#4 - March 10, 2017, 03:52 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Hi Kell: Thanks for your response. I emailed the query, not sure whether it was the submittable system. Went back and read their query information. They did mention that a request for material based on a query is usually sent five months prior to publication date. Since it's the October issue I think there's still lots of time to hear from them.
#5 - March 10, 2017, 03:56 PM

Members: