• SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
ACHIEVING YOUR PEAK CREATIVE POTENTIAL

From Pitch to Publication with Chronicle's Naomi Kirsten

WHEN  Saturday, May 20, 2017 @11:30 AM [eastern daylight time]
WHERE On your computer
COST $35.00 for SCBWI Member. $50.00 for NonMember
CONSULTATIONS $40.00. SUBMISSION DEADLINE APRIL 15, 2017

Join Chronicle Books' Senior Editor, Naomi Kirsten, for a 2-hour online workshop for both writers and illustrators on picture book and novelty projects.

While developing your work and preparing it for submission to a publisher, how do you know when your peak creative potential has been achieved? And how do you best balance that peak achievement with your knowledge of the market landscape and end-consumer, both key aspects of relaying your project’s commercial viability and appeal? In this content-rich webinar, we’ll explore recent publishing trends and opportunities as they relate to children’s illustrated books—specifically, picture books, novelty books, and board books—with the aim of aligning your creative endeavor to the end goal: Getting published!

WEBINAR OBJECTIVES:
*Explore the characteristics of a compelling project pitch. (We’ll focus on picture books, board books, and novelty books.)

*Gain a deeper understanding of the U.S. children’s illustrated book and gift market. We’ll unpack key aspects of successful titles that have resonated (on the awards front and commercially).

*Undertake a close reading of two of Naomi’s recent picture books, YOU AND ME, ME AND YOU and THE TRUTH ABOUT MY UNBELIEVABLE SUMMER…, to illustrate the evolution of a project, from pitch to final product.

*Answer your questions about the Chronicle Books’ Children’s acquisition process, as well as questions about what Naomi is seeking in projects and proposals.

CONSULTATIONS: DEADLINE 4/15/2017  CHOOSE ONE
SUBMIT ALL CONSULTATIONS electronically to carolinas@scbwi.org  SUBJECT LINE: Webinar Submission-Last Name.  In the body of the email give Name, Type of submission <picture book, portfolio, pb dummy>  ATTACH PDF.

*Written critiques: Picture Books <up to 800 words>. Middle Grade <first five pages>. Use manuscript formatting:

→  Use a 1″ margin on all sides
→  In the upper left corner of the first page: your name, address, city, state and contact email.
→  Center the TITLE one-third down the page
→  Don’t number the first page. Begin numbering with the second page.
→  In second page header, in the upper right corner, include the TITLE, Your Last name, and page number.
→  The chapter number/title should be in all caps, separated by double hyphen: CHAPTER 1—THE BODY.
→  Begin the body of the chapter two lines below the chapter title.
→  Indent fives spaces for each new paragraph.
→  Double-space the entire text.
→  Use Times New Roman font. 12-point type. 
​*Illustration Reviews: Up to five illustrations from portfolio in a PDF. Label File with Webinar_Portfolio_Last Name

*Picture Book Dummies: Submit as multi-page PDFs–where each page is a spread, basic parameters would be to save at 72 ppi and optimize, with a file size of no larger than 2 MGs.

Using the SCBWI Manuscirpt Gold Form or the SCBWI Review Gold Form, written consultations will be returned electronically by May 31, 2017.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
*At the completion of the program participants will receive guidelines for submissions to Naomi Kirsten, Senior Editor, Chronicle Books. 

MEET OUR PRESENTER

Naomi Kirsten is a Senior Editor at renowned independent publisher Chronicle Books in San Francisco, California. She acquires approximately 20 titles each year, ranging from picture books to games, stationery, and novelty formats, with a focus on art-driven projects with broad consumer and international appeal. Naomi’s recent and upcoming titles include THE TRUTH ABOUT MY UNBELIEVABLE SUMMER…, I DIDN’T DO MY HOMEWORK BECAUSE…, and A FUNNY THING HAPPENED AT THE MUSEUM… with Davide Cali and Benjamin Chaud; New York Times Notable Book and Society of Illustrators Gold Medal Winner THE BEAR'S SONG; YOU AND ME, ME AND YOU; WHEN AN ELEPHANT FALLS IN LOVE; and THE STAR WARS COOKBOOK: WOOKIEE PIES and ICE SABERS, projects she originated for the Star Wars franchise. She also develops publishing programs with Richard McGuire, Marc Boutavant, and Benjamin Chaud, among others. On Twitter: @naomi_kirsten

For questions/concerns email carolinas@scbwi.org
#1 - March 22, 2017, 08:15 AM
Sláinte,
Teresa Fannin
RA, SCBWI Carolinas
http://www.carolinas.scbwi.org
@SCBWICarolinas

Poster Plus
Thanks so much, Teresa!!

:thankyou
#2 - March 22, 2017, 08:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
do you know if there will be a replay?
#3 - March 22, 2017, 09:53 AM
Flowering Minds - Children's Book Review Site
www.facebook.com/floweringminds
www.flowering-minds.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
If you sign up for the course, the recording is available for seven days after the live presentation. Handouts and other information will be sent to all who sign up for the program.

Sláinte, Teresa
#4 - March 22, 2017, 02:04 PM
Sláinte,
Teresa Fannin
RA, SCBWI Carolinas
@SCBWICarolinas

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Is Naomi the one who will do the consultations?
Thanks.
#5 - March 28, 2017, 05:35 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes, Naomi will be completing all the consultations.
Sláinte, Teresa
#6 - March 28, 2017, 07:53 AM
Sláinte,
Teresa Fannin
RA, SCBWI Carolinas
@SCBWICarolinas

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Thanks!
#7 - March 28, 2017, 05:31 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I would so like to do this but, sadly, it's on at 2am where I live!
#8 - March 28, 2017, 08:51 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
The lovely part of an online program is that they are recorded. 
Sláinte, Teresa
#9 - March 29, 2017, 09:28 AM
Sláinte,
Teresa Fannin
RA, SCBWI Carolinas
@SCBWICarolinas

I participated in this yesterday.  It was phenomenal: very organized, Naomi spoke extensively, the webinar was very user friendly, just terrific.

Thank you,
Ree
#10 - May 21, 2017, 06:49 AM

Members: