SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Asking an Expert

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Since I have never been published and don’t know if my NFPB will ever get published, I'm hesitant to ask an expert to proof my manuscript. Should I see if an editor or agent is interested in it before seeking an expert?
#1 - April 01, 2017, 08:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi Susan,

I guess my response is "it depends." Normally in the process of writing a nonfiction PB, I consult a number of experts. For my own peace of mind, I often have them have a look at the final.

With that said, your manuscript will likely go through several revisions, both at the agent and editor stage. I just sold an NF PB, and am already working on substantial revisions. My editor has advised me to show the book to my experts again once revisions and illustrations are complete, so they can see the whole thing at once.

Does that help?

Kirsten
#2 - April 02, 2017, 05:18 AM
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:14 PM by kwlarson »
Kirsten W. Larson

--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS (Calkins Creek, 2020)
http://kirsten-w-larson.com
Authors and illustrators ... join me at SubItClub.com!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I would consult with an expert regardless Susan. Just because you haven't published doesn't mean an expert wouldn't want to. And if and when your ms is accepted, publishers often have the ms independently reviewed by another expert. I have a couple of mss that have not been accepted but they've been reviewed for accuracy by experts and this info. goes in my biblio.

Good luck, Vijaya
#3 - April 02, 2017, 07:47 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Kirsten and Vijaya,

Thank you so much for your advice!
#4 - April 02, 2017, 04:14 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
One more perspective on this, Susan (although I think you've already gotten the excellent advice you needed!). I've been asked to review a manuscript and the illustrations for accuracy on a subject I know a lot about. This came after the book had been accepted and the text and the pictures were already getting near final draft stage. My point, I guess, is that I'm agreeing with those who say that experts can help at any stage.
#5 - April 04, 2017, 03:24 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Thanks for your insight, Rab! I appreciate hearing and learning about the entire process.
BTW, I love your kitty. (I'm a cat lover and have 3 who help me wake up each morning.)
#6 - April 04, 2017, 03:45 PM

Members: