SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

MFA Creative Writing question - Hamline vs Vermont program

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Hi everyone!
I am a published illustrator and making the switch to writing, my first love.  My current work in progress is a middle-grade fantasy geared for age 10+.

I have applied to  the MFA program at Hamline and Vermont College of Fine Arts and am waiting to hear back. In the event that I am fortunate enough to get into both, I would love to hear any thoughts on the two programs.

Would you say that a middle grade writer would be well suited to both programs or is one more middle grade heavy while the other YA heavy? Pros and cons to either of the programs? Honesty, they both sound wonderful to me but I would love to hear some on the ground experience reports.

Many thanks in advance!
#1 - April 24, 2017, 01:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I went to VCFA (Vermont) and loved it. I think whichever program you choose, you can't go wrong. Good luck.
#2 - April 24, 2017, 02:35 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I'd look at the faculty at the two schools. Though all faculty can work with all categories of children's books, are there some faculty members whose middle grade books you especially like. For example, I love Kathi Appelt's books, and she's on faculty at VCFA.
#3 - April 26, 2017, 05:41 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Members: