SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Cricket - no form R, a straight decline on Submittable status?!

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I feel this is bizarre. I submitted a fiction story to Babybug and I got an email today stating that my submittable status changed. When I looked at it, the status on my story was 'decline'. There is no form R, not even a word. Just nothing. Does this happen? This story went into "In-progress" yesterday after a week since I submitted. I am wondering that when Cricket hates something so much, they don't even bother to send a form reject?  :sigh  :sadcry
#1 - April 28, 2017, 12:42 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I don't know the situation, Orchid, but if I had to guess, I'd say maybe Babybug has gotten hugely swamped with subs like Hello, and they're just trying to get back to folks in the most expedient manner possible. It sounds like Submittable can be automated to send an email if the status changes. And the first readers consider finding a 'Decline' on Submittable to be no different than getting a form rejection.

I don't think it's any reflection on the quality of your submission. But I'm sending you extra hugs.  :hug Any kind of reject is hard.
#2 - April 28, 2017, 01:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Ev! I think I had hopes built up on this one specifically after Highlights sent me a 'personal reject' on the same story saying that it was 'well done'. I think I learnt today how much this business is subjective. Onto the next one, I guess!
#3 - April 28, 2017, 04:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hi Orchid. Just wanted to add that there are many reasons for rejection that have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your sub. Maybe they just purchased something similar, or they really need stories that feature a boy instead of a girl, or maybe a chicken instead of a dog  :grin3 This industry is not only subjective, but is also a real heartbreaker at times. It's important not to take rejection personally. Just dust off that "well-written" story and find it a new home.  :horse2
#4 - April 28, 2017, 04:46 PM
A Smidgen of Sky (Harcourt 2012)
A Sliver of Sun (book #2)
 A Million Ways Home (Scholastic 2014)
 www.diannawinget.com
Twitter@DiannaMWinget

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hi Orchid!
Did you received a form  rejection email? I have from Cricket Media, and then the status changed to declined. Don’t take it personal if you didn't get personal feedback. That happens to all of us. If they declined without sending you a form letter , my guess is that an intern reading the huge electronic slush pile forgot to send it.  Focus on your Highlights personal reply. That is a super compliment!
Bestest!
#5 - April 29, 2017, 01:11 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Have you checked all your spam filters? Sometimes it was sent and missed.

No reply meaning no thanks is common in the industry, so this may be a form of that, but usually companies let us all know if they're making that kind of switch by posting it someplace.
#6 - April 30, 2017, 09:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks for all the positive words :)

Well, I definitely did not get the email because I checked all my mail folders. Submittable keeps a copy of the form letter or any communication that was sent out as well and there's nothing there either! For now, I am trying to think of ways how I can repackage the story to send it to a different magazine.
#7 - May 01, 2017, 09:45 AM

Daughter of The King
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I must admit that "no reply means no thanks" is quite discouraging  to me.
I think a company can at least reply with a no thank you.  :cry2
Sigh...
#8 - May 04, 2017, 07:20 PM
Creative blessings to you ~

www.trinegrillo.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I must admit that "no reply means no thanks" is quite discouraging  to me.
I think a company can at least reply with a no thank you.  :cry2
Sigh...

Me too. I keep hoping a positive reply will appear unless I've been given a specific date.  It feels both cruel and impolite. In truth it is dehumanizing because it doesn't acknowledge the humanness of the sender. But it is also the way of the world, not just in publishing.
#9 - May 08, 2017, 11:12 AM

Members: