SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writing a PB class: interesting activities?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm wondering from folks who've taken a PB course, seminar, etc, what were activities,  lessons, exercises, discussions that were really interesting. Or obviously anything online with interesting activities for learning to write PBs. Thanks!
#1 - May 20, 2017, 09:49 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I once took a class with an exercise to think of a familiar place from childhood and make a detailed map of it. This was for generating memories and story ideas. It was a great exercise! Not sure if it came from a book or if the instructor just made it up.
#2 - May 20, 2017, 12:44 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Bring along a favorite PB and present to the class why it works for you (or doesn't work). Write a short piece from your point of view, about an event when you were a child - especially an event in which an adult misunderstood you.
#3 - May 20, 2017, 05:31 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Carrie, I love making maps and I've done this with kids and they have a blast.

And going through favorite PBs is a must in any workshop on PBs. It is so instructive. And if you forget to bring a book, you can always sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and show how well plotted and satisfying a story it is :reindeer

I like having people make a list of their fears, their favorite animals, foods they hate. I look for topics that elicit extreme emotions and go from there to build a story.

Have fun Keith. Are you planning a workshop?
#4 - May 20, 2017, 05:51 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh! I love the mapping idea! I may borrow that idea for Bulldozer!

Games that are connected to a PB is also fun. At my school event I had a game using Powerpoint titled NAME THAT CAR PART. I broke the kids in two groups, kept scores and at the end the winners got a prize. Of course, I made sure it was at tie at the end and they all loved that everyone got a prize. 
#5 - May 20, 2017, 11:22 PM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Member.
Poster Plus
Thanks for all the ideas! Yep, Vijaya,  doing a workshop on all kinds of kids books, picture books just one part. Really interested in which activities are particularly memorable and helpful. PB's are such a special form of storytelling and am trying to help everyone tap into this art and find their own stories. A time you were misunderstood is cool. I like the idea too a lot of tapping into strong emotions....
#6 - May 21, 2017, 08:28 AM
Keith McGowan, www.keithbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
 :goodthread
#7 - May 21, 2017, 12:24 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Illustrations are such a key part that it might be good to add words to an image without describing what's shown. No adjectives allowed. Go for the emotion. (That actually came from a poetry workshop but it was given by a picture book author.)

I've also seen someone take a sentence and change a single word to see how each word adds to the sentence.  Use an iconic picture book sentence.
#8 - May 21, 2017, 07:30 PM

Members: