SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Home From Hell?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Just a curiosity: how do you deal with landlord louts in your part of the world?
We've just been cut off our electricity because the landlord insists on having the building billing in his name and the bill goes to his address. He didn't drop the previous bills to us for payment, leaving a household of four people to pay over 550Euros each for the previous bills. I had to go to my mum's yesterday and ask her to withdraw money from our joint account in order to pay it. That was meant to be a nestegg.
The only thing that housing advisory say is to "write to the landlord", but he is the idiot who got us into this mess by not forwarding the bills in the first place!
Any suggestions?

BTW: there aren't any backup tenancy boards in Ireland. Just advisory groups who don't have any legal standing in Ireland.
#1 - May 25, 2017, 05:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm so sorry, Fiona.

That's so odd that the bills go to the landlord. Here in the US, when you rent, it's your name on the bill (electricity, gas, water) because that is your residence and you are responsible for payment. It makes no sense for the bills to go to the landlord. Maybe you and the other tenants can join forces and make him see reason. I hope this doesn't happen again.

:hug  Vijaya

#2 - May 25, 2017, 05:58 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm so sorry, Fiona.

That's so odd that the bills go to the landlord. Here in the US, when you rent, it's your name on the bill (electricity, gas, water) because that is your residence and you are responsible for payment. It makes no sense for the bills to go to the landlord. Maybe you and the other tenants can join forces and make him see reason. I hope this doesn't happen again.

:hug  Vijaya

It will. The landlord himself doesn't take the rent: he employs someone else to take it on his behalf. He calls to the house to gather payment. I heard John speak with him last night & say that he is "okay to allow you take responsibility of payment" for electricity. In other words, he wants John's name to be placed on the bill. He is a tenant, like myself and the other two in the building. There is a pre-meter in the building but one of the other tenants objects to this being implemented and because of her objection we have to incur a central electricity bill. No matter what electricity is used the bill is split four ways. We pay extra because our shower is powered by gas, not electricity and the other tenants refuse to cover the costs, despite the fact that we have to pay for the electrical shower usage.
I know none of this is your concern, I'm just typing to vent.
Thanks.
#3 - May 25, 2017, 06:18 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Ugh, Fiona, I'm sorry  you have to put up with this.
#4 - May 25, 2017, 07:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
As am I.
Currently in my writing haven, using their free WiFi & charging both laptop and mobile on their electricity.
I think normally something would be said to a customer, but since I am a regular customer who not only buys a drink there every day, but often two or other chocolate products, nothing has been said.
John & I are relying on the laptop for downloaded entertainment. It's him I feel sorry for. This has all happened when he is midstream in exams.
#5 - May 25, 2017, 07:52 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
You can always vent here Fiona. And the timing is rotten if John is in the middle of exams though truth be told, we are so dependent on electricity, it's mighty inconvenient whenever it goes out. The Little House in the Woods novelty lasts exactly one day for us during storms.
And :yay for a writing haven with tea and chocolate. V.
#6 - May 25, 2017, 08:32 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Terrible. In the US, if such a situation could occur, it would wind up in court pretty fast.
#7 - May 25, 2017, 12:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Sorry, Fiona. This is for your landlord:  :!
#8 - May 25, 2017, 04:24 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Ugh! There are no words.... Landlord ---> :frypan <--- You
#9 - May 26, 2017, 02:58 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Terrible. In the US, if such a situation could occur, it would wind up in court pretty fast.

No such luck here. There are two organisations in this country, both advisory, both voluntary and with no legal standing in a court of law. We could go down the legal route, but we would have to be paid up in full before we do that. I have money, given to me by my mother from our joint account, to pay for the outstanding bill. Others have said "why don't you just withhold the rent until all is sorted?", but if we do that we're just indebted to the value of the rent. I hope to god that John doesn't accept to put the electricity in his name because if he does the other tenants (c)would have issues with him.
#10 - May 26, 2017, 05:09 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Update:Still no electricity because the bill hasn't been paid. One of the other tenants is on holiday and the dragging her heels about payment which means the power won't be switched on until all payment is cleared.
Thank goodness I am a regular in a coffee shop: I've been powering up my phone and laptop over a period of four hours and two cappuccinos!
Writing has taken a back seat for now. Even monsters need a break!
#11 - May 29, 2017, 06:50 AM

Members: