title already used

Discussion started on

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I'd like to know your hive-mind opinion on this:
I have been inspired by a PB title that came to my mind. It would make a great non-fiction PB topic. First step was to search the title on Amazon books and, alas, it has been used a few times over the years. The most similar book (in genre and time) was a fiction PB (same age group), released last year by a major publisher.
What do you think? Continue anyway because, while both are PBs, one is fiction and one is non-fiction? The time lag between writing this and finding a publisher (being optimistic) would be acceptable? Find a new title for my work? Work on another idea (there are many on my to do list)?
Just wondering.
Thanks!
#1 - June 02, 2017, 04:46 PM
My Australia - National Library of Australia (April 2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
I'd go ahead with it. If a publisher likes the content, but not the title, then you can find a new one.
#2 - June 02, 2017, 04:50 PM

Poster Plus
This happened to me last year. Not long after finishing my PB ms, I found a new PB at the library with a similar concept and the very same title. Because I hadn't yet submitted it, I made the decision to change the title.

I do agree with Cindy, but - and this is just neurotic me - I was uncomfortable with the same name.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do, Julie!
#3 - June 02, 2017, 06:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I agree with Cindy. I'm just glad that *your* imagined book isn't already on the shelves. Whew!!!
#4 - June 02, 2017, 06:32 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Happened to me, also. I'd write it and if acquired the publisher will make a decision whether to change the title. It will be a marketing decision.
I wonder, if you feel queasy about this, why not change the title just a little?
#5 - June 02, 2017, 06:42 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you! I will go ahead and be open to changing the title in the future.  In this case, the title gave me the idea for the whole book so I'm quite attached to it, but I can brainstorm alternative titles later. First the writing! Thanks again.
#6 - June 03, 2017, 04:55 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

I agree--this is not something you need to worry about. Titles aren't copyrighted, and your publisher will probably want to change the title, anyway.
#7 - June 03, 2017, 05:58 PM
Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD
author/psychologist
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
www.GrowingFriendshipsBlog.com *For parents
www.DrFriendtastic.com *FOR KIDS!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
When querying, I would use the book that is already out as a comp, then change your own title to show that you have done market research and know that this book exists, imo.
#8 - June 04, 2017, 04:40 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
When querying, I would use the book that is already out as a comp, then change your own title to show that you have done market research and know that this book exists, imo.

This is wise, assuming that book has had reasonable sales by then and is still within five years old. Keep in mind that your work may change as you write and revise too. The jumping off point for a story doesn't always end up as relevant as we'd think it would to the final product.
#9 - June 04, 2017, 09:20 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Lots of wisdom here. Thanks very much for all your input!
#10 - June 04, 2017, 11:25 PM

www.juliemurphybooks.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Brilliant and appreciated info here. It hadn't even occurred to me to check my working titles against currently available titles. Thanks for that!
#11 - July 09, 2017, 11:00 PM

Members: