SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Study of historical ciphers in fictional context

Discussion started on

New!
 I say somewhat as it's not completely demotivating, but does this sort of thing have a historical subgenre? Specifically, I'm thinking in terms of certain historical practices of espionage, but not tradecraft in and of itself.

I'm really into things like Historical ciphers and codes, such as the Ceasar Cipher and Morse Code. Other ciphers include the Vingere, Playfair, ADGVX, Bidid, Trifid, and some modified ones of my own creaton such as:

Conditional Reciprocal Cipher: In practice it works similarly to a Rot13, except that it has an additional factor of have both the alphabet and secondary alphabet be a permutation key. So even if one knows the rotation itself is thirteen shifts, they'd still have to know the specific keyed permutation.

The closest historical novel I can think of off hand is Bread And Rose, Too. But that isn't really about Ciphers per say, and the MC is only the daughter of a lady who is an activist.

Are novels about historical ciphers, that aren't necessarily in and of themselves historical, but considered a part of historical ficton?
#1 - June 30, 2018, 06:52 PM
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:57 PM by dinalapomy101 »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I don't know if any novels use ciphers in a historical context, but my son has read a few contemporary books in which ciphers are part of the story. Some authors love including puzzles in their works. There have been non fiction books on things like the Navajo code talkers during WWII and the like as well.

I can't see why you couldn't use ciphers in a historically accurate way in a novel. If you have an idea for one, go for it.
#2 - June 30, 2018, 09:08 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I don't know if any novels use ciphers in a historical context, but my son has read a few contemporary books in which ciphers are part of the story. Some authors love including puzzles in their works. There have been non fiction books on things like the Navajo code talkers during WWII and the like as well.

I can't see why you couldn't use ciphers in a historically accurate way in a novel. If you have an idea for one, go for it.

Thanks! Will do. Have had some writer's block lately, although for issues beyond the scope of the post.

(Mainly my fear is being labelled the LGBT Tommy Waseau of Young Adult and New Adult.)
#3 - July 01, 2018, 11:03 AM

Members: