SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Kitchen Calamity

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
A meeting of our tiny SCBWI gathering this morning got me thinking today. I have had a severe dose of writer's block of late and left my monsters to get on with other things. I will return to them at a later date, as I always do.
Anyway, the sound of the microwave door slamming in the cafe led me to admit that I had written a large group of stories when I was ten called "The Kitchen Clan". It was similar to "the garden gang", written by Jayne Fisher in the late seventies, but had a different take on the dilemmas. It's kind of anthropomorphic and probably picture books.
Would children still be interested in that kind of story or should I leave it in the depths of my brain?
By the way, should I decide to continue with it, what implements can you find in a modern kitchen these days?
#1 - June 24, 2017, 06:27 AM
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:20 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
I'm not familiar with The Garden Gang, but my children would be interested in The Kitchen Clan! My daughter, in particular, loves Disney's "The Brave Little Toaster."

To see what's new and fancy in kitchen implements, I'd go to Amazon's search bar and enter kitchen appliances or gadgets.

Best wishes!!!

#2 - June 24, 2017, 07:51 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks Carrots,
I did a quick Google on the author Jayne Fisher. I remember her being about my age and a child author. She's now a politician in England!
Anyway, my microwave is having issues, as it did in real life back in the 80's.
What do you find in a modern kitchen these days?

OT:this reminds me of a modern version of Tom and Jerry where their kitchen has a dishwasher!
#3 - June 25, 2017, 06:13 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No Place Like Foam...
Don't kill me, it was the first thing I thought of this morning when the washing machine wouldn't turn on!
#4 - June 28, 2017, 07:37 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I'm back in the kitchen & want to thank Carrots: Amazon threw back some weird implements I wouldn't have thought possible. Anyway, my poor microwave has just broken so I've got to get him fixed.
Better not tell my mum. That caused a lot of heartache the first time around.

I'm in a silly mood today: I'd love to see the freezer aspire to go on a Sun holiday!
#5 - September 10, 2017, 06:52 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I think it is a great idea. And more young children understand kitchens these days than gardens. You could have a new appliance move in. Basic appliances like microwave, blender, toaster. The electric pressure cooker are all the rage right now.
#6 - September 10, 2017, 06:59 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I think it is a great idea. And more young children understand kitchens these days than gardens. You could have a new appliance move in. Basic appliances like microwave, blender, toaster. The electric pressure cooker are all the rage right now.
Barbara, my mother had a pressure cooker in the 80s. He creeps out very rarely these days and destroys the nutritional content of vegetables. The word "pressure" gives me horrible notions of a little pot feeling all hot and bothered about what exactly will be inserted him via the little containers and how long they will in there.

:sweeping :frypan
#7 - September 10, 2017, 07:36 AM

Members: