SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Exclamations of relief

Discussion started on

When I'm relieved, I say "Thank goodness," or "Thank God." But I keep tripping up on what a modern day teen would say, especially a non-religious one. Phew just doesn't seem strong enough. What do you say? What do your kids say?
#1 - July 23, 2017, 06:46 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
I'm a "Thank God" gal, myself, but my tween and teen say, "Finally!" (I guess it's their sarcastic way of expressing, "This nightmare of x-y-z or worrying about x-y-z is over!")
#2 - July 23, 2017, 09:51 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Here are some random thoughts: "Glad that's over with." "What a relief." "Oh my gosh." "I thought that would never end! OR never finish, get done, etc." OR any combo of the above?

You can do up-to-the-minute expressions, but that can date your story. So if you can find something generic OR get into your character's head and come up with something unique to them and their personality, either of those may be a simpler way to go.

#3 - July 23, 2017, 11:53 AM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
"Nightmare over!" is a popular one around here. Particularly if you've lost something then found it.
#4 - July 23, 2017, 12:18 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think it depends on what the thing is. A simple "Yes!" might work in some circumstances. The other options are all possible too.
#5 - July 23, 2017, 07:21 PM

I like "finally!" and some of the other suggestions as well. Thanks for helping me brainstorm on this. What I'm really looking for is an exclamation to show complete and utter relief. Doesn't have to be trendy-- "thank goodness!" just sounds a little grandmotherly to me.

I'll keep playing with it--of course, you're 100% right, Melody, something unique to the character and her personality is really what I need.

Thanks!

#6 - July 26, 2017, 04:37 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
"That was epic!" Could refer to good or bad.
#7 - July 26, 2017, 10:24 PM

I teach 9th grade and every year the exclamations change...usually for the worse.  Just for convenience, I say go with what your character would say.  Maybe give them their own unique tagline.  I wouldn't concern myself with what kids use now because it will change in a few months. 
#8 - July 27, 2017, 03:58 AM

Members: