SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Posting on this Board

Discussion started on

Dionna

Thanks! I filled out the form. Do I get an extra star?

Beneath your profile, you're already listed as a PAL member! I see your PAL  star! :goldstar :goldstar!
#31 - May 30, 2015, 01:35 PM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:38 PM by Dionna »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Thank you, Artemesia. When I published my first book, a couple of years ago, I set up a small publishing firm just for me, but I don't think that would qualify. It's not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure of the rules. I must say, on the whole, I enjoy self-publishing my books (a series of middle grade adventure books set in different countries around the world featuring five cousins, two who are adopted from China), but there are definitely disadvantages - this being one. Thanks for your help.
#32 - May 30, 2015, 01:45 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Well then, heck, I should shut up and keep my head down! Thanks, Dionna!
#33 - May 30, 2015, 01:46 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Even though you aren't eligible for PAL status, Sam, SCBWI does have some new benefits (awards? grants? I know there is something!) geared to self published people. Do ask SCBWI what it is.
#34 - May 30, 2015, 02:00 PM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:12 PM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
I will. Thanks, Verla. I've always seemed to have problem logging onto the Blueboards, I finally think I got it figured out and want to be more active. I'm obviously going to have to do some serious research on what the stars by the side of my name mean!!! *shakes head*
#35 - May 30, 2015, 02:04 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Even though you aren't eligible for PAL status, Sam, SCBWI does have some new benefits (awards? grants? I know there is something!) geared to self published people. Do ask SCBWI what it is.

Here's a little more info about the SCBWI Spark Award:

The winner and honor recipients will receive: a Spark seal to display on their book;  commemorative plaque; the opportunity to have their book featured and autographed at an SCBWI conference of their choosing during the year the award is won, featured in the SCBWI online bookstore and publicized through SCBWI social networking sites. The winners will also get the opportunity to attend any conference of their choice tuition free (other than for extras such as critiques and intensives).

And here's a link to the full information on the SCBWI website: https://www.scbwi.org/awards/spark-award/

The 2014 Spark Award winners have already been chosen, but I'm guessing that submissions for the 2015 Spark Award will open up in mid September. You can put it on your calendar to re-check this link then. :) 
#36 - May 31, 2015, 01:44 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks for the info, Mindy. I couldn't remember the name or details of it.
#37 - May 31, 2015, 08:36 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
You are all wonderful. Thank you for the info. I believe I submitted my first book for the Spark award but nothing came of it. Instead it won the Writers' League of Texas Discovery Award that year. I didn't submit anything for my second and my third is coming out this year, so I'll have to give it some thought. Thank you all for being so supportive.
#38 - May 31, 2015, 09:06 PM

Members: