SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Contacting and Finding Art Directors

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Hello all!

:new I'm currently working on my mailing list for publishers, and I've heard over and over to address the Art Director by name. However, there are a handful from The Book that don't have anyone listed, and some that have only Editors of varying  titles (such as Managing Editor, Editor, Associate Editor, you get the idea). Some Publishers that I have on my list don't even have anyone on their website or LinkedIn. Some submission guidelines say to address it to something like "ATTN: Submissions Editor," but they still want cover letters or queries so I don't know who to address it to on those. I've heard to try and avoid impersonal things like, "To Whom It May Concern."

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on dealing with this?

Thanks in advance!
#1 - August 14, 2017, 03:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
First off Welcome Chey-diehl!:)
It can be hard to sniff out names and often by the time you do that person may have moved on to another co anyway:) I've been able to find some AD's via twitter and then follow them but typically those are the bigger name AD's with high profiles anyway, ones that are easy to find in association with the Publisher. There are a number of publishers, mostly smaller, that may not even have an AD and the Editor or a designer wears that cap. While it's great if there is a name to address your Postcard to, it will not hurt your chances to resort to saying, Att: Art Director, or Att: Art Buyer. You'll just be using their physical address in any case with nothing else but YOUR contacts on the card and it will get to the right person (and that's what matters:)
You mention a "query", so you might be wishing to send a dummy (as Author and Illustrator?) and in that case it goes to the Editors any way, not the AD.
#2 - August 15, 2017, 03:08 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
You can find some on my website on this page: http://vonnacarter.com/wordpress/appearances-editors/
#3 - August 15, 2017, 07:12 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Book Friends Bookshop
KidLit Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Vonna, that site of yours is amazing!!!:)
#4 - August 15, 2017, 07:45 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
You mention a "query", so you might be wishing to send a dummy (as Author and Illustrator?) and in that case it goes to the Editors any way, not the AD.

Ah heheh actually, I couldn't figure out what the difference between a Cover Letter and Query was exactly. So, I guess a query is only when you have a project in mind already? Some submission guidelines specifically mentioned queries, so I guess that threw me off. Thanks for clearing that up!

#5 - August 18, 2017, 03:44 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Wow, that site is incredible: thanks so much! Consider it bookmarked!
#6 - August 18, 2017, 03:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
New!
Chey, no problem, many of the terms still throw me off and I've been around longer then I can to mention:)
"Query" is for a manuscript, sending the query out to see if there will be interest from an Agent or Editor to request a partial or full. 
A cover letter could be used by both Authors and Illustrators to introduce ones self but is less commonly used by Illustrators these days. Most Illustrators now just send postcards showing their work, with name, contact (email) and places more of their work can be viewed (web site, Instagram, Pintrest, where ever you post your work to)
This is less costly for the artist to mail, more efficient for the AD's to see the work and if the work interests them, they can find out quite easily these days who you are:)
On twitter you can follow Giuseppe Castellano (Exec AD at Penguin) and he routinely posts his Mailers and Coffee moments from the office, to give you some idea's of what other Illustrators are sending out and what is getting attention. https://twitter.com/hashtag/mailersandcoffee?src=hash
#7 - August 19, 2017, 03:39 AM
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:47 AM by christripp »

Members: