SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

No SASE, should I expect an email from Humpty Dumpty?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi,

I just realized that I didn't include a SASE with my snail-mail submission to Humpty Dumpty. Their instructions do specify including a SASE, I guess I just missed reading that part! I haven't heard back from them yet but it has only been 2 months since I sent out my submission.  I am wondering if they will respond at all if it is a reject? Do they send out a form R by email if there is no SASE? This is my first time submitting to Humpty Dumpty, so I don't know what their process is. Any insights will be helpful!

Thanks.
#1 - August 15, 2017, 09:47 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
If you don't hear back in a couple of months, you could try sending a status query with the SASE. I don't know about rejections, but my acceptances have all come by email. They do tend to hold onto pieces they like for a long time if they don't have a fit in an upcoming issue (since they only have 6 issues a year). I've waited up to a year to hear back and typically status query after  6-8 months. I'm currently waiting on 2 pieces from January. The editor is wonderful and the wait is worth it though! Crossing my fingers for both of us! Good luck!
#2 - August 15, 2017, 10:21 AM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks for your reply, Starfish. I will wait couple of more months before I get in touch with them. Hopefully, they don't send me a reject until then :) Good luck!
#3 - August 15, 2017, 02:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi Starfish,

I'm curious if you heard back on your submission?

Since I'm impatient whenever I submit anything, I did SQ by email a month ago but haven't received a response yet. Total wait time now is 4 months. Though I know it's nothing when compared to the long wait times I see for this magazine, I still can't help but wonder if their no response means a reject and I should move on? If it is indeed a reject, I can send the same story to other magazines for consideration. I kick myself for not sending SASE with my original submission. My plan is to now  try and sit tight until the beginning of next year. If I still don't hear anything, I'm going to send another SQ.

Hope things are well with you.
#4 - October 16, 2017, 10:27 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hi,
I'm still waiting on the 2 subs from early January and a third I just recently submitted. The editor did email me in July to tell me they were considering one of the Jan subs for an upcoming issue and they requested an electronic copy. But I haven't heard back on that. Based on prior experience, I'm assuming it didn't fit that particular issue and they're holding it until it does fit an issue. I personally don't mind because the market is so limited as it is - I'm just happy they're interested!

To be honest, as you've said, 4 months is no time at all for most of the major mags. I've waited more than a year for acceptances with Humpty Dumpty and the Cricket group, and while my acceptances with Highlights have come around 4 months, I did  wait 8 months once for a Highlights rejection. The waits seem to be getting longer overall with all magazines. But with Humpty Dumpty, I like to think the longer wait means there's interest. They have given out rejections in the past if you look at the response times board.

If you're going to simultaneously sub, I would let them know.  Best thing is to work on something new and sub the new piece to another magazine. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with whatever you do!
#5 - October 16, 2017, 02:57 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks for your reply, Starfish.

I'm going to wait and check with them later next year.  You're right, I should focus on something new and sub it around.

Good luck on your submissions. I will post back if I hear anything.

#6 - October 16, 2017, 03:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Sounds like a good plan!

If only someone could invent a crystal ball for writer subs... That person would be a trillionaire, I think.  I'm waiting on a sub with a different magazine and the wait is nerve-wracking! But like you, I'm working on something else while I wait and it does help.

Good luck! I will post if I hear anything, too.
#7 - October 18, 2017, 01:48 PM
Anita N. Amin

Members: